US News Ranks BU Second Highest Big 12 School
Baylor is ranked No. 78 among National Universities in the latest Best Colleges rankings released in September by U.S. News & World Report.
Baylor is the fifth highest-ranked Texas university, behind Rice (No. 16), the University of Texas at Austin (No. 49), Southern Methodist University (No. 59) and Texas A&M University (No. 66) and ahead of Texas Christian University (No. 80), the University of Texas at Dallas (No. 129), the University of Houston (No. 171), Texas Tech University (No. 187), and Dallas Baptist University and the University of Texas at Arlington (tied at No. 221).
Schools in the National Universities category offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research.
Other highlights for Baylor in this year’s U.S. News ranking:
- Baylor is the second-highest ranked university in the Big 12. UT Austin is the highest, followed by Baylor, TCU, Iowa State University (No. 119), the University of Oklahoma (No. 124), the University of Kansas (No. 129), Kansas State University (No. 147), Oklahoma State University (No. 157), Texas Tech, and West Virginia University (No. 205).
- This is the seventh straight year that Baylor was the second-highest ranked university in the Big 12 and among the top five in Texas.
- Undergraduate programs in the Hankamer School of Business moved up to No. 62, tied with 16 other universities, while the business school’s undergraduate entrepreneurship program tied at No. 15 in the nation.
- Baylor’s undergraduate engineering program, which now offers a PhD program, is tied No. 116 with 15 other universities.
- Baylor is No. 57 among Best Value Schools, which rates universities according to the school’s academic quality, as indicated by its 2019 U.S. News Best Colleges ranking, and the 2017-2018 net cost of attendance for a student who received the average level of need-based financial aid.
- Baylor is tied at No. 44 among National Universities in the Best Colleges for Veterans ranking. U.S. News rates universities based on their participation in federal initiatives helping veterans and active-duty service members pay for their degrees.
- Baylor is tied at No. 73 in the U.S. News High School Counselor Rankings.
The U.S. News Best Colleges rankings are based on several key measures of quality, including outcomes, faculty resources, expert opinion, financial resources, student excellence and alumni giving.