Start Abroad Application Process
Applying to the Baylor Start Abroad Program is a two-step process.
STEP 1: Apply to Baylor by November 1. You should apply to Baylor University as an Early Decision (ED) or Early Action (EA) applicant.
- Learn about the Baylor application process here.
- Both the application and the required items should be submitted to Baylor by November 1.
- On your application, answer the question to indicate you are interested in starting your first semester in Dublin, Ireland. If you forget to do this, you'll still have the opportunity to apply for the Start Abroad program in your goBAYLOR account.
STEP 2: Apply to Start Abroad by December 1. After you submit your Baylor application, you'll have access to your goBAYLOR account. Here, you'll create and submit all the required application checklist items for the Start Abroad Program including:
- Start Abroad Interview with an Admissions Counselor: must be scheduled, but not necessarily complete by December 1. Students should be prepared to discuss in 15 minutes why they are interested in starting abroad and how they think this program could enhance their academic and collegiate experience. Just click the "Start Abroad Interview" link in your checklist, and you'll be taken to a form to schedule your interview.
- Short Answer Response about your global interest and experience: due December 1.
- Parent Agreement Form: due December 1.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE:
- You must be a newly admitted freshman to Baylor University who is starting your first semester in Fall 2020.
- You must be 18 years old by August 15, 2020.
- You must hold a valid passport at the time of registration (by May 1, 2020).
- Due to a rigorous and specialized curriculum, some majors are not recommended for the Start Abroad Program. See the list of majors here.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN AN APPLICANT:
The Start Abroad program is designed for students who are: globally curious, enjoy new experiences and adventure, are looking to broaden their world view, are mature, want to travel in a community, want to engage in an academically rigorous experience, and want life experiences that will improve future career opportunities.
Decisions for the Baylor Start Abroad Program will be on a rolling basis after the December 1 deadline. You may only be accepted to the Baylor Start Abroad Program after you have been accepted to Baylor. You will see your decision in your goBAYLOR account.
- Step 1: Pay your Enrollment Deposit. If you are accepted to Baylor University, you will see your acceptance decision on or by December 15 (ED) or January 15 (EA) in your goBAYLOR account. You will then be required to submit a $500 non-refundable enrollment deposit to secure your spot at Baylor by February 1 (ED) or May 1 (EA).
- Step 2: Confirm Waco or Dublin. After you've paid your enrollment deposit, you will have until May 5 to confirm your location start — Waco or Dublin.
- Step 3: Pay the Additional $500 Start Abroad Deposit. If you commit to the Baylor Start Abroad in Dublin program, you'll then be required to secure your spot with an additional $500 non-refundable deposit. We will then start working to secure your flights, travel arrangements and next steps.
Once accepted, you'll also have the ability to join a private Facebook group with other Start Abroad accepted students to build relationships and ask questions.
If you change your mind or decide not to participate in the Baylor Start Abroad Program, you are more than welcome to still attend Baylor and start your freshman year in Waco, Texas instead of Dublin, Ireland. You must let us know (Waco or Dublin) by May 5.
All academic scholarships and need-based awards will apply to the Baylor Start Abroad Program as if you were on the Waco campus.
Still have questions? See our FAQs here.