Jared E. Alcántara, Ph.D.
EducationPh.D., Princeton Theological Seminary
Research InterestsPreaching in the Global South
Cultural and Intercultural Engagement
The Role of Race and Ethnicity in Preaching, Especially in the Latino/a and African-American contexts
Courses TaughtPreaching I
Black, Latino/a, and Asian North American Preaching
History of Preaching
Preaching and Culture
- How to Preach Proverbs (Dallas, TX: Fontes, 2022).
- ed. Let the Legends Preach: Sermons by Living Legends at the E. K. Bailey Preaching Conference. (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2021).
- Las Prácticas de la Predicación Cristiana: Rudimentos para la Proclamación Eficaz. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2020).
- The Practices of Christian Preaching (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2019).
- Learning from a Legend: What Gardner C. Taylor Can Teach Us About Preaching (Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2016).
- Crossover Preaching: Improvisational-Intercultural Homiletics in Conversation with Gardner C. Taylor (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2015).
- "The Last Pulpit Prince: Gardner C. Taylor," Preaching (July-August 2014).
- "Past Matters: Sandy Frederick Ray," Preaching (March-April 2014).
- "Counting the Costs of Perpetual Connection," Media Development 42, no. 2 (April 2012).
- "Perpetually Connected?: The Effects and Implications of Ambient Technology on Christian Worshippers," Africanus Journal 3, no. 1 (April 2011): 5-14.
About Dr. Alcántara
Jared E. Alcántara is Professor of Preaching and holder of the Paul W. Powell Endowed Chair in Preaching. He was born and raised in New Jersey and came to faith in Christ at the age of fourteen. He is half-Latino (Honduran) and half-White. An ordained Baptist minister, he has served as a youth pastor, associate pastor, and teaching pastor in Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, and New Jersey. Before coming to Truett, from 2014-2018, he served as an associate professor of homiletics at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois.
Dr. Alcántara is passionate about equipping students to preach God’s Word in ways that are faithful, effective, clear, creative, and inspiring. He also plays piano, enjoys disc golf, and is a rabid Philadelphia Eagles fan. He lives in the Waco area with his wife, Jennifer, and their three daughters.Jared Alcántara Profile Photo