Spiritual Formation and Discipleship
Spiritual formation is one of the pillars of Truett Seminary. We invite all students to develop habits that support personal and communal spiritual formation that may sustain them through the challenges and joys of ministry. The spiritual formation and discipleship coursework offers training in the process and practices of spiritual formation that apply beyond seminary life and reach into local congregations, faith-based organizations, and other ministry contexts. Students will explore biblical-theological foundations for spiritual formation and discipleship, the historical development of Christian spirituality, and the process of nurturing formation through various tasks of ministry in the congregation and beyond. Through this comprehensive study, students will be prepared to provide leadership to congregations and organizations in ways that support Christian formation in all aspects of life, work, and relationships. These courses address specific academic and practical needs for senior pastors, Christian educators, children’s ministers, pastoral caregivers, mission or service workers, and various other ministry vocations.
Students completing this coursework will:
- Articulate a biblical-theological understanding of Christian spiritual formation and discipleship.
- Draw upon the rich resources of historic Christian spirituality for themselves and others.
- Develop specific skills for pastoral care, spiritual guidance, teaching, and/or age-based ministry depending on personal interests.
- Plan and implement discipleship initiatives in a congregation and other contexts.
- Establish a “rule of life” rooted in spiritual practices that provides a foundation for a life of ministry.
|MDiv Core Curriculum||72|
|Spiritual Formation and Discipleship Graduate Certificate||12|
|PRTH 7310 Formation for Congregations and their Leaders||3|
|PRTH 7312 Traditions in Christian Spirituality & Prayer||3|
|PRTH 7110 Spiritual Direction I: Theology and Practice of Soul Care||1|
|PRTH 7210 Spiritual Direction II: The Art and Skill of Companioning||2|
|Choose three hours from the following:|
|PRTH 7130** Spiritual Direction III: Deepening Discernment||1|
|PRTH 7230** Spiritual Direction IV: Contexts of Ministry||2|
|PRTH 7311 Spiritual Formation Through the Lifespan||3|
|PRTH 7314 Leading Small Groups and Retreats||3|
|PRTH 7391 Wilderness Spirituality||3|
|PRTH 7390 Studies in Christian Spirituality||3|
|**Students who want to receive a Certificate in Spiritual Direction must take PRTH 7110, 7210, 7130, and 7230|