Stephen B. Reid, Ph.D.
EducationPh.D., Emory University
M.Div., Bethany Theological Seminary
B.S., Manchester College (North Manchester, Indiana)
Research InterestsBlack Biblical Hermeneutics
Courses TaughtChristian Scriptures 1
Hebrew 1 & 2
- Experience and Tradition: A Primer in Black Biblical Hermeneutics (Nashville: Abingdon, 1991).
- Listening In: A Multicultural Reading of the Psalms (Nashville: Abingdon, 1997).
- Editor, Prophets and Paradigms: Essays in Honor of Gene M. Tucker (Sheffield Academic Press, 1996).
- Psalms and Practice: Worship, Virtue and Authority (Liturgical Press, 2001).
- Co-author w/ Kathy Reid, Uncovering Racism (Brethren Press, 2000).
About Dr. Reid
Dr. Stephen B. Reid joined the faculty of George W. Truett Theological Seminary in the fall of 2008. Previously he served as Academic Dean and Professor of Old Testament at Bethany Theological Seminary in Richmond, Indiana. He joined the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary faculty in 1990, after serving almost ten years as associate professor of Hebrew Scriptures and Biblical Theology at Pacific School of Religion. He began his teaching career at the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta Georgia.
Dr. Reid is a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the Catholic Biblical Association. He is the author or editor of several books. He has also written numerous papers and publications on a wide variety of subjects, for among others the Brethren Encyclopedia, New Harper Bible Dictionary and the Eerdmans Bible Dictionary. He wrote the annotation for the section on Daniel for the Discipleship Bible and Psalms for the People's Bible as well as articles for Feasting on the Word.
Dr. Reid is ordained in the Church of the Brethren. He was interim pastor at the Fremont Church of the Brethren in Fremont, California and Saint Paul Cumberland Presbyterian Church in south Austin. He has served on the Bethany Seminary board of trustees. He served as associate pastor at Austin Mennonite Church.Stephen Reid Profile Photo
* Curriculum Vitae