Kimlyn J. Bender, Ph.D.
EducationPh.D. - Princeton Theological Seminary
M.Div. - Fuller Theological Seminary
B.A. - Jamestown College
Research InterestsThe Theology of Karl Barth
19th and 20th-Century Theology
Courses TaughtChristian Texts & Traditions 3
The Theology of Karl Barth
- T&T Clark Handbook of Ecclesiology (London/New York: Bloomsbury, 2020).
- Reading Karl Barth for the Church: A Guide and Companion (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2019).
- Confessing Christ for Church and World: Studies in Modern Theology (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2014).
- Karl Barth’s Christological Ecclesiology (Ashgate, 2005; reissued in paperback by Cascade, 2013; and by Routledge, 2016).
- Theology as Conversation: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2009).
About Dr. Bender
Dr. Kimlyn J. Bender is Professor of Christian Theology at Baylor University’s George W. Truett Theological Seminary. He is the author of four books and has co-edited another. His work has been published in numerous journals and collections, including Scottish Journal of Theology, International Journal of Systematic Theology, Theology Today, Christian Scholar's Review, Zeitschrift für dialektische Theologie, Soundings, Sophia, Perspectives in Religious Studies, and Journal of Religion and Society. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the David Allan Hubbard Award from Fuller Theological Seminary, the Outstanding Faculty Award from the University of Sioux Falls, and the Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics (First Prize).
An ordained Baptist minister raised on the prarie of North Dakota, Dr. Bender has preached in many churches and has served ministries in the Dakotas, California, and New Jersey, and most recently as the Senior Pastor of Oak Hills Baptist Church in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He and his wife Trudy have three children.Kimlyn Bender Profile Photo
* Curriculum Vitae