Substitutions & Waivers


Students may complete a Petition for Course Substitution Form to replace an elective for a required class on their degree plan. Generally, courses in the "core" are not substituted for electives. The exception is for students with Advanced Standing who are replacing the Introduction courses with electives.


Students will no longer be able to substitute electives for core classes. In past semesters, allowances have been made for students in dual degree programs or for those with arrangements made prior to enrollment. However, beginning in Fall 2016, all students must take all classes listed in their degree program requirements. Consideration will still be given for students who would like to substitute concentration requirements. If you are a Monday-only or commuter student and you need special consideration, please visit with Academic Services.

If you have questions about how this will affect your degree plan, please make an appointment to visit with the Office of Academic Services, now located in 205.2.


  • Any students who takes a class or desires to take a class outside of their required degree program must submit a "petition for course substitution form."
  • If you are petitioning to substitute a course, it is recommended that you replace that course with one of a similar subject (for example, a practical theology course for a practical theology course).
  • Students must submit substitution requests the semester prior to when they intend to take the other course to ensure that the course will be approved.
  • Substitution forms must be submitted to Jo Ann S. Reinowski in the Office of Academic Services.
  • Courses are not approved for substitution until the form has been submitted and approved.
  • Final approval for all course substitution is given by the Dr. Terry York, Associate Dean of Academics. When you submit your substitution request, attach a separate page with a justification to explain each request. Justification should explain:
    • Why are you requesting this substitution?
    • Why do you believe the course you want to take will benefit you in your ministry?
  • After you have submitted a substitution or a waiver to remove a course from your degree plan, you cannot take that class for credit.


  • There are two standard substitutions for all students with degree plans prior to Fall 2014:
    • If your degree plan requires THEO 7388 (Capstone), take THEO 7382 (Constructive Theology) and submit a substitution.
    • MENT 7300 (Intro to Mentoring), take PRTH 7391 (Integrative Seminar) and submit a substitution, plus a waiver for PAST 7033 (CPO).

Requesting courses outside of Truett Seminary:

  • Truett Seminary has a process to allow students to request courses outside of the Truett Seminary curriculum to be substituted for elective credit.
  • Add/Drop forms and substitution forms are both required to proceed with registration for outside courses.
  • Please schedule an appointment with the Office of Academic Services to complete this process.

Changing your concentration:

  • Remember, if you update to the new Theology concentration, or change your concentration to the new catalog, you are now responsible for meeting the degree requirements of that degree program. Submit all necessary substitutions!

Students are required to consult with the Director of Academic Services throughout their academic career to submit appropriate substitutions. It is recommended that you get a substitution approved before you take a course outside of your degree plan. Any course taken outside of your degree plan will fall under "Work Not Applicable" on your degree audit and potentially will not count for credit.