Baylor Process for Admittance to Teacher Education Program (undergraduate & MAT)
Students wishing to seek initial teacher certification must:
- Complete the online application at https://www1.baylor.edu/tca/
- Complete, sign, and submit the following documents to the Office of Professional Practice, Marrs McLean Science (MMSCI) Room 116. These documents are attached to the online application:
- Consent for Use of Confidential Information
- Code of Ethics and Standard Practice for Texas Educators
- FERPA Consent to Release Educational Records and Information
- Once application is made, a review of requirements for admission to the program will be conducted. This information along with feedback from faculty will be used to determine if applicants are accepted, conditionally accepted, or declined admission into the teacher education program.
Academic Requirements to be admitted include:
- 2.75 overall and major GPA
- Successful completion of 12 hours in the content area in which certification is being sought. Candidates in Mathematics (4-8 or 7-12), Life Science (7-12), Physical Science (6-12), or Science (4-8 or 7-12) must have successfully completed 15 hours in their content area.
- Recommendation from Baylor program faculty
(Please note: There may be additional requirements for Music Education, Deaf Education, Sports Pedagogy, or other Post Bac programs. Students should check with these individual programs to ensure that all admission requirements are being addressed.)
Notification and Appeals Process:
Students will be notified via email of the offer of acceptance or conditional acceptance into the program and must respond by accepting the offer within 10 days of the date the email was sent.
Students who are conditionally admitted to the teacher certification program will be required to contact the certificate coordinator to set up a time to meet, review conditions of acceptance, and sign a contract.
Students who are declined acceptance have the right to appeal the decision within 15 days of notification, as noted in the Teacher Education Handbook. To appeal a decision, the student must send a letter of appeal to the certificate coordinator via email. A committee of faculty members representing the certificate team will conduct a hearing and the committee recommendation will be forwarded to the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education. The Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education will notify the candidate of his/her acceptance status within two weeks.
Questions regarding the application process should be addressed to Sandra_Parnell@baylor.edu, 254-710-6153, MMSCI 274.