Band Activities (CTYWE)
Central Texas Youth Wind Ensemble
The Central Texas Wind Ensemble is under the direction of Dr. David Montgomery. Dr. Montgomery is Associate Professor of Music Education at Baylor University. Prior to his appointment at Baylor he served as Associate Director of Bands at Western Michigan University from 2004-2018.
For questions, or more information, about the CTYWE contact Dr. Montgomery at David_Montgomery@Baylor.edu.
- To provide an artistic experience of the highest musical caliber to high school students in the central Texas region.
- To promote community and build musical connections and relationships among participants.
- To contribute to musical growth of participating students and their band programs.
Membership in the Central Texas Youth Wind Ensemble is open to all high school band students in the central Texas area. In order to participate, students must be a member in good standing of their high school band. Homeschool students are also welcome.
Membership is determined by audition.
Audition Process and Registration
Auditions follow a two-step process and consist of the following:
- Step One
- All candidates should register for the audition in order for us to learn more about you and have your contact information.
- Step Two
- Submit a video audition link. See audition requirements and step-by-step submission process below for details.
- Submit the Supplemental Audition Forms (see below) along with your video submission.
- Email your audition video link and supplemental audition forms to: David_Montgomery@Baylor.edu
- Audition video links and materials are due Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 11pm.
- Chromatic scale for your instrument. The chromatic scale should extend at least two octaves (low concert F to high concert F for most instruments although some instruments may find low concert C to high concert C more appropriate). If you are unable to perform two octaves, perform the range that you can play well. Those who can perform the full range of their instrument are encouraged to do so. You may choose the articulation and tempo you wish to perform.
- A prepared solo of your own choosing that demonstrates your technical and musical abilities. Length of solo should be 2-3 minutes. Region solos/etudes are acceptable.
- Percussion: 2-3 minutes of excerpts demonstrating your best playing on snare, mallet percussion and timpani. 45 seconds to 1 minute on each instrument will suffice. Chromatic scale is not required for percussionists.
Audition Recording and Submission Guidelines
- Find a quiet room without extraneous noise or potential distraction(s).
- Use a quality video camera. (The camera on most cell phones and tablets is adequate.)
- When recording:
- Clearly state your name, high school (or homeschool), grade, and instrument.
- Perform your chromatic scale. (Percussion skip this step.)
- State the excerpt you are performing (i.e. name of solo or indicate it is an all-region etude etc.)
- Percussion- be sure to submit an audition on snare, timpani, and mallets. You may record in any order you choose, but please introduce each instrument and piece.
- CTYWE wishes to hear you performing to your best capabilities. Choose a solo that fits you well and that you can perform accurately and musically. There is no advantage to performing music that is very difficult but that you do not play well.
- Feel free to record multiple takes to get your best performance. Submit only your best performance.
Video Link and Uploading Platform
You may submit your audition via link to YouTube or any common cloud-based platform such as Google Drive or Dropbox. Do not email the video file directly. Use a common platform and email the link.
- YouTube instructions:
- Upload as an “Unlisted” file so the video can be viewed but will not be publicly searchable on the internet. “Unlisted” videos means only people with the link can view. Do not upload the file as a “Private” video. Select “Unlisted.”
- Cloud-based instructions:
- If you prefer to use a platform other than YouTube, such as emailing a link to a google folder or some other commonly used cloud source, feel free to do so as long as the link you send is of good quality, shows video footage of you performing, and the settings allow CTYWE staff to readily open the file. Make sure the settings indicate “anyone with the link can open/view” before submitting your audition email.
Saving and Submitting
- Title/save your video file with your first and last name and the name of your instrument followed by “CTYWE 2022 Audition Video.” Example- “John Doe percussion CTYWE 2022 Audition Video.”
- Submit your audition by emailing the link along with the Supplemental Audition Forms to David_Montgomery@Baylor.edu. Deadline is Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 11pm.
Supplemental Audition Forms
In addition to registering to audition, students should complete the supplemental forms and submit them via email along with your video audition link.
- Membership in High School Band Confirmation.
- Multimedia Release and Schedule Acknowledgement.
Notification of audition results will be emailed to all candidates no later than Wednesday, January 19, 2022.
Rehearsal and Performance Calendar
Rehearsals for the CTYWE are on Sunday afternoons from 1:15-2:45pm in McCrary Music Building room 118 at Baylor University unless otherwise noted. Rehearsals will be on the following dates:
- January 23
- January 30
- February 6
- February 13
- February 20
- February 27 (rehearsal time on this date is TBA and may be later in the afternoon)
- (March 6- NO REHEARSAL---SPRING BREAK)
- March 13
- March 20 (rehearsal is as normally scheduled; concert to follow at 3pm)
Concert is Sunday, March 20 at 3pm in Jones Hall in McCrary Music Building at Baylor University.
Rehearsal time is very limited. Attendance at every rehearsal is expected. If there is a need to be absent you must contact Dr. Montgomery as timely as possible. Any student who misses more than 1 rehearsal may be dismissed from the ensemble, without a refund, and not allowed to perform on the concert.
Tuition for the CTYWE is $75 per student. Tuition is due at the first rehearsal. Make checks payable to Baylor University.
Families who have more than one student in CTYWE should contact the Director for a discount after the first child.
- Cancelled due to COVID-19
- A Festival Prelude, Alfred Reed
- O Magnum Mysterium, Morten Lauridsen, trans. H. Robert Reynolds
- Folk Song Suite, Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Melodious Thunk, David Biedenbender