Ensemble Audition Information
This page contains information for music-majors and current Baylor students. Audition and placement information for incoming students who are non-music majors is available here.
Bands and Orchestras
Instrumental Audition Information and Excerpts
- for Baylor Symphony, Wind Ensemble, Campus Orchestra, and Symphonic Band
- updated July 17, 2022
- Contact Eric Wilson (bands) or Miguel Harth-Bedoya (orchestras) if you have any questions.
Jazz Audition Information and Excerpts
- for Jazz Ensemble and Concert Jazz Ensemble
- excerpts will be added soon (this message was updated July 17, 2022)
- Contact Alex Parker if you have any questions.
Concert Band - No Audition Required.
Marching Band - Details on the Golden Wave Marching Band site
No audition required.
Fall 2022 Choir Audition Information:
Fall 2022 auditions will take place in person at Campus Connections on Day One of Orientation sessions in June and July (3:15-4:05 in the Foster Business Building). Additional auditions will take place during Welcome Week prior to the start of the Fall semester or by appointment throughout the summer. The audition will consist of:
- Vocalization/Range check
- Tonal Memory/Sightreading
- Sing an unaccompanied hymn or patriotic song - one verse or verse/chorus. (Possible examples are Amazing Grace, Be Thou My Vision, My Country ‘Tis of Thee, or America the Beautiful)
If you have any questions about the audition process or if you would like to schedule an audition, please contact Erin Schmidt (Erin_Schmidt1@baylor.edu)
2022-2023 Auditions for A Cappella Choir and Chamber Singers have already taken place. If you have interest in these ensembles, please directly contact individual faculty directors.
Bella Voce, VirtuOSO (sophomores → graduate students, including transfers):
Fall 2022 Auditions for Bella Voce and VirtuOSO have already taken place. Additional auditions may take place during Welcome Week, just prior to the start of the fall semester. Please contact individual directors for questions regarding these ensembles.
No audition required.
- Must enroll in Opera Workshop (MUEN 1104) to be considered for casting
- Those who wish to volunteer to work backstage are not required to register for the class, but must be available during the scheduled class time and rehearsals.
- Those who want to sing in the opera chorus do not need to audition; just register for the course. Without an audition you will not be considered for named roles.
- this option only applies when there is a chorus in the upcoming opera.
- Non-graduating students must audition in the spring for the following year’s productions.
- Auditions for spring performances are held at the end of fall semester for anyone who has not auditioned previously.
- Incoming Graduate Students: Your graduate audition can count for your opera audition as well, so long as the audition happens prior to casting.
- Singers will present two selections:
- one aria or art song in a foreign language
- one in English (The English selection can be an aria, art song or musical theater)
- A pianist will be provided at the audition
- the student must provide clean, 3-hole punched, copies of their music in a 3 ring binder for the pianist
- There is always a potential for callbacks
Contact the Director of Opera if you have any questions.
Baylor Percussion Group
Contact Dr. Todd Meehan.