Glennis McCrary Goodrich International Scholarship**The deadline for Winter Term and Spring 2013 abroad programs is October 1, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.
**The deadline for May Minimester programs and all summer programs is February 1, 2013 @ 5:00 PM.
**The deadline for fall or academic year 2013 is March 1, 2013 @ 5:00 PM
During the academic year 2009-2010 114 students received a total of $247,050 in scholarship assistance. Beginning in the spring of 2007, a student's decision to study in an under-represented world region is considered as a factor, in addition to merit and need, in determining the amount of scholarship assistance that will be provided.
Applicants must be a student at Baylor. Recipients will be selected competitively based on financial need AND academic merit, as well as other relevant factors related to the applicant and the nature of the study-abroad program. Maximum awards are $3,000 for summer programs and $5,000 for semester programs though most are for smaller amounts in order to benefit as many students as possible.
With this program, we honor the memory of Glennis McCrary Goodrich, who graduated from Baylor, magna cum laude, in 1929. As a student, she served as captain of the Baylor women's football team, the first collegiate co-educational football team in the world. She provided most of the funds for the Glennis McCrary Music Building, and also contributed to the Armstrong Browning Library and endowed a scholarship that provides financial support to Baylor music students. She passed away in 2001, at age 92, preceded in death by her husband, Baxter Goodrich.
EligibilityAn applicant for this program must:
- be a student in good standing at Baylor University
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- have completed the most recent FAFSA
- attend a study abroad program (short-term, summer, semester, or year-long) approved by the Baylor Center for International Education. Please note that you must be IN THE PROCESS of planning to go abroad before you decide to apply for the scholarship. Do not wait to see if you have received the scholarship before applying to the abroad program.
- submit all required materials, including an application and unofficial transcript, and one reference letter (student must contact the person they indicate as their reference and provide them the link to the reference letter web page)
Selection CriteriaThe selection committee will judge each application on its own merits based on a wide range of criteria including the following:
- academic merit of the applicant AND financial need of the applicant (need is determined by the FAFSA)
- academic, personal, and practical preparation of the applicant for international study (including language skills, when applicable)
- The applicant's other efforts to finance the study abroad program
- significance of the program for the applicant's academic and vocational development
- length and nature of the study-abroad program
- academic field of the applicant
- country and regional distribution
- Preference will be given to undergraduates.
- Please note that the applicant should not have received this award previously
Application Dates/DeadlinesApplications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis. You are encouraged to complete your application as early as possible (but no earlier than one year before your intended program). Each time the scholarship committee meets, it will consider all of the completed application packets. Applicants will be notified of the scholarship committee's decisions 2-3 weeks after the deadline date. DEADLINES ARE LISTED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Ask one person who is familiar with your plans and abilities (a professor, employer, or other objective acquaintance -- not a family member) to complete the online reference form. When you make this request, be sure to indicate whether you have waived the right to read the reference letter. It is your responsibility to make certain your reference letter is submitted by the deadline.
- Submit a copy of your unofficial transcript (a student copy from the Academic Records office is acceptable or printing from your BearWeb account) by dropping it off at the Study Abroad Office, 204 Poage Library or mailing it to:
Goodrich Scholarship Program
Study Abroad Office
P. O. Box 97381
Waco, TX 76798