[STEPS TO RECOGNITION]
Becoming a recognized Student Organization at Baylor University presents a terrific opportunity to serve the campus community, develop skills within the group, and have a good time in the process. The following are required steps to becoming a recognized Student Organization:
1. MEET WITH STUDENT ACTIVITIES
Schedule a meeting with Student Activities, to discuss the proposed organization and to secure the appropriate forms.
2. REVIEW ORGANIZATION POLICIES
Become familiar with institutional policies, specifically student organization policies for officers, advisors, and activities, to ensure that the proposed organization will adhere to expectations for the entire Baylor community.
3. IDENTIFY ORGANIZATION ADVISORS
Enlist at least one full-time faculty or staff member as an advisor for the organization. University expectations prefer student organizations have at least two advisors. Additional advisors may be obtained as necessary.
4. COMPLETE PAPERWORK
Complete the appropriate forms. Student organizations are chartered only once but must complete a registration form and roster each semester. The following forms must be completed before recognition and registration are considered:
All documents (including the constitution) require signatures from both the organization president and the advisor. Unsigned forms will be returned. In case it is helpful you may wish to view guidelines for developing a constitution and/or a Sample Constitution.
- NOTE: Prospective religious organizations are required to submit an additional form (Religious Organization Charter Process).
5. SUBMIT PAPERWORK BY THE DEADLINES EACH SEMESTER
Submit the forms to the Department of Student Activities. If the application is recommended for recognition, the application will be forwarded through the Director for Student Activities to the Vice President for Student Life for final approval.
- NOTE: Prospective religious organizations are required to proceed through additional approval steps including review by the Spiritual Life Advisory Committee, the University Chaplain, and the President of the University.
- DEADLINES: Fall 2017 Deadlines are September 15th and October 20th at 5pm.
6. ATTEND CHARTER WORKSHOP SERIES
Approved organizations officers will attend a workshop series designed to help officers prepare their organization for success. A minimum of two officers are required to attend all workshops, and the workshop series will culminate with an official recognition ceremony for all organizations. As soon as the organization completes the workshop requirement it may begin operating and meeting as an interest group. Formal approval of an organization charter will be provided following attendance at the workshop series.