Aspirational Statement Two: Baylor will be a place... where research discoveries illuminate solutions to significant challenges confronting our world and where creative endeavors reflect the breadth of God's creation.
Baylor's most distinctive characteristic is our identity as a research university with a strong Christian commitment. Faculty and students at Baylor are dedicated to joining with the national and international community of scholars and artists in exploring the manifold issues and creative possibilities at the forefront of human discovery. As we do so, we encounter multiple instances in which our Christian perspective offers unique insights into issues such as social responsibility, health care, economic growth, human rights, poverty, and, more fundamentally, our understanding of our identity as human beings within the created order. During the past decade, faculty scholarly productivity has increased in terms of publications and research grants. To support that scholarship, our libraries enhanced our electronic and physical collections through collaborative partnerships. We constructed a state-of-the-art science facility that has attracted faculty and students. We have begun to expand our research capabilities with the establishment of the Baylor Research and Innovation Collaborative (BRIC). But we have much work left to do in order to position Baylor as a preeminent research university with very high research activity. With respect to this aspiration, we will:
- Support the pursuit of research and creative work at the highest level by providing opportunities for study and collaboration, as well as outstanding facilities and a supportive infrastructure;
- Involve students at all levels in the discovery process, and foster the connection between teaching and scholarship;
- Support creative endeavors that inspire consideration, celebration, and stewardship of God's creation;
- Increase external research funding and forge new collaborations with industry through such strategies as the creation of select centers of excellence within the Baylor Research and Innovation Collaborative (BRIC); and
- Informed by our faith, scholarship, and call to service, participate in local, state, national, and international conversations regarding society's greatest challenges.