M. Renee Umstattd, Ph.D. MCHES
Assistant Professor, HHPR
Campus Contact Information
College of Health & Human Sciences, HHPR
One Bear Place #97313
Waco, Texas 76798-7313
Office: Rena Marrs McLean Gymnasium 226
2005 Ph.D. The University of South Carolina, Arnold School of Public Health, Columbia, SC. Health Promotion, Education & Behavior, Cognate: Physical Activity and Obesity Prevention
Dissertation: The Roles of Self-regulation and Self-efficacy in Physical Activity Behavior and Correlates of Self-regulation in an Older Adult Population.
2002 M.S. The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS. Health Promotion & Wellness.
Thesis: Differences in Self-efficacy, Outcome-expectancy Value and Self-regulation between Exercising and Non-exercising Older Adults.
2000 B.S. Baylor University, Waco, TX. Health Education and Fitness, Minor: Business Administration.
Honors Thesis: The Use of Self-regulation Skills, Exercise Self-efficacy and Exercise Outcome-expectancies of Employed Adults: A Synopsis and Review.
1. *Umstattd M. R., Baller S. L., Hennessy E., Hartley D., Economos C. D., Hyatt R. R., Yousefian A., & Hallam J. S. (in press). Development of the Rural Active-Living Perceived Environmental Support Scale (RALPESS). Journal of Physical Activity and Health. Impact Factor: 1.857 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.926
2. *Martin R. J., Cremeens J., Umstattd M. R., Usdan S., Talbott-Forbes L., & Gardner M. (in press). Drinking behavior, protective behavioral strategies and school performance of college students. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy. Impact Factor: 0.423 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 0.760
3. *Umstattd M. R., Baller S., Blunt G. H., & Darst M. L. (2011). Correlates of perceived worksite environmental support for physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 8(7.1): S222-S227. Impact Factor: 1.857 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.926
4. Umstattd M. R., Wilcox S., & Dowda M. (2011). Predictors of change in satisfaction with body appearance and body function in mid-life and older adults: Active for Life®. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 41(3): 342-352. Impact Factor: 3.984 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 4.254
5. *Cremeens J. L., Usdan S. L., Umstattd M. R., Talbott L., Turner L., & Perko M. (2011). Challenges and recommendations to enforcement of alcohol policies on college campuses: An administrator's perspective. Journal of American College Health, 59(5): 427-430. Impact Factor: 1.572 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.228
6. *Griffin J. A., Umstattd M. R., & Usdan S. (2010). Alcohol use and high-risk sexual behavior among collegiate women: A review of research on Alcohol Myopia Theory. Journal of American College Health, 58(6): 523-532. Impact Factor: 1.572 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.228
7. *Martin R., Usdan S., Nelson S., Umstattd M. R., LaPlante D., Perko M., & Shaffer H. (2010). Intention in the theory of planned behavior: Differences between disordered and non-disordered college student gamblers. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24(1): 89-97. Impact Factor: 2.101 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.926
8. *Talbott L. L., Umstattd M. R., Usdan S. L., Geiger B. F., & Martin R. J. (2010). Validation of the Drinking Context Scale (DCS-9) for use with non-adjudicated first-year college students. Addictive Behaviors, 35: 510-512. Impact Factor: 2.133 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.587
9. Yousefian A., Hennessy E., Umstattd M. R., Economos C. D., Hallam J. S., Hyatt R. R., & Hartley D. (2010). Development of the Rural Active Living Assessment Tools: Measuring rural environments. Preventive Medicine, 50: S86-S92. Impact Factor: 3.299 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.520
10. Umstattd M. R., Motl R. W., Wilcox S., Saunders R., & Watford M. (2009). Measuring physical activity self-regulation strategies in older adults. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 6(1 Suppl): S105-S112. Impact Factor: 1.857 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.926
11. Doerksen S. E., Umstattd M. R., & McAuley E. M. (2009). Social cognitive determinants of moderate and vigorous physical activity in college freshmen. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39(5): 1201-1213. Impact Factor: 0.721 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 1.210
12. Gilson N., Ainsworth B., Biddle S., Faulkner G., Murphy M., Niven A., Pringle A., Puig-Ribera A., Stathis A., & Umstattd M. R. (2009). A multi-site comparison of environmental characteristics to support workplace walking. Preventive Medicine, 49: 21-23. *note: authorship beyond 1st author is listed alphabetically. Impact Factor: 3.299 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.520
13. *Talbott L. L., Umstattd M. R., Usdan S. L., Martin R. J., & Geiger, B. (2009). Validation of the college alcohol problem scale revised with non-adjudicated first-year students. Addictive Behaviors, 34(5): 471-473. Impact Factor: 2.133 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.587
14. Umstattd M. R., Wilcox S., Saunders R., Watkins K., & Dowda M. (2008). Self-regulation and physical activity: The relationship in older adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 32(2): 115-124. Impact Factor: 1.295 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 1.572
15. LeMasurier G. C., Bauman A. E., Corbin C. B., Konopack J. F., Umstattd M. R., & Van Emmerik R. E. (2008). Assessing walking behaviors of selected subpopulations. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 40(7 Suppl): S594-S602. Impact Factor: 4.106 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 4.748
16. *Talbott L. L., Martin R. M., Usdan S. L., Leeper J., Umstattd M. R., Cremeens J. L., & Geiger B. F. (2008). Drinking likelihood, alcohol problems and social as predictors of drinking days in the past month among first-year college students. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 34(4): 433-440. Impact Factor: 1.372 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 1.566
17. Valois R. F., Umstattd M. R., Zullig K. J., & Paxton R. J. (2008). Physical activity behaviors and emotional self-efficacy: Is there a relationship for adolescents? Journal of School Health, 78(6): 321-327. Impact Factor: 1.422 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 1.911
18. Gilson N. D., Ainsworth B., Biddle S., Faulkner G., Murphy M., Niven A., Pringle P., Puig-Ribera A., Stathis A., & Umstattd M. R. (2008) . Interested in promoting walking at work? First things first, assess your workplace environment! Sport Health, 26(4 Summer). *note: authorship beyond 1st author is listed alphabetically.
19. Umstattd M. R. & Hallam J. S. (2007). Older adult exercise behavior: The role of selected social cognitive theory constructs. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 15(2): 206-218. Impact Factor: 1.839 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 2.144
20. Umstattd M. R., McAuley E. M., Motl R. W., & Rosengren K. S. (2007). Pessimism and physical functioning in older women: Influence of self-efficacy. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 30(2): 107-114. Impact Factor: 3.232 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 3.543
21. Umstattd M. R. & Hallam J. S. (2006). Use of social cognitive theory variables across exercise stages of change of employed women. American Journal of Health Studies, 21(1): 44-48.
22. Umstattd M. R., Saunders R., Wilcox S., Valois R., & Dowda M. (2006). Correlates of self-regulation for physical activity among older adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 30(6), 710-719. Impact Factor: 1.295 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 1.572
23. Wilson D. K., Griffin S., Saunders R. P., Evans A., Mixon G., Wright M., Beasley A., Umstattd M. R., Lattimore D., Watts A., & Freelove J. (2006). Formative evaluation of a motivational intervention for increasing physical activity in underserved youth. Evaluation and Program Planning, 29(3): 260-268. Impact Factor: 0.711 (2010), 5-year Impact Factor: 0.898
* Indicates student co-authorship.
Dr. Umstattd's research interests lie in health promotion through physical activity behavior. Specifically, she is interested in the application, measurement, and evaluation of how theoretical constructs promote, explain, and predict physical activity behaviors; the translation of these applications and relationships into community-based settings; and subsequently, how physical activity impacts chronic disease, functionality, and quality of life across the lifespan. More recently, Dr. Umstattd has focused her efforts on better understanding the role of environmental support for physical activity in rural and worksite communities, measurement of this support, and implications for behavior change.
HED 5315, Health Behavior in Public Health / Foundations in Health Education
HED 5360, Evaluation in Health Education
HED 3320, Stress Management & Mental Health
HED 5V90, MPH Graduate Project Coordinator
MCHES, Master Certified Health Education Specialist (2011-current).
CHES - Certified Health Education Specialist (2001-current).
Board of Directors, American Academy of Health Behavior (AAHB), 2011-current.
Chair, Professional Development Council, American Academy of Health Behavior (AAHB), 2011-current.
Committee Member, 2012 Conference Committee, American Academy of Health Behavior (AAHB), 2011-2012.
Council Member, Professional Development Council, American Academy of Health Behavior (AAHB), 2009-2011.
Editorial Board, Moving Forward Electronic Newsletter, International Society for Physical Activity and Health (ISPAH), 2010-current.
Committee Member, Communications Committee, International Society for Physical Activity and Health (ISPAH), 2008-2010.