ResearchResearch is an integral part of any graduate level education. Listed here are a few research projects and interests of departmental faculty.
Dr. Janet Bagby
- Student veterans' experiences on college campuses
- Faculty perceptions of combat-related PTSD and teaching post 9/11 student veterans
- The effects of environment on children's executive function
- Connecting educational theory and Montessori practice
- Children's problem solving transfer
Dr. Alexander Beaujean
- Individual differences and their influence on educational outcomes.
- Structure and measurement of human cognitive abilities.
- London School of Differential Psychology.
Dr. Tonya Davis
- The effects of motivating operations on challenging behaviors and intervention.
- Intervention methods for severe problem behaviors.
- Applied behavior analysis intervention among individuals with developmental disabilities.
Dr. Julie Ivey-Hatz
- Effectiveness of the Autismate iPad application on communication and socialization in children with autism
- Cognitive and affective empathy in children with autism spectrum disorder
- iPad technology and autism
Dr. Susan Johnsen
- The Longitudinal Effects of Enrichment and Advanced Placement Programs on Gifted and Talented Students from Lower Income Backgrounds.
- Factors that Influence the Retention of Novice and Beginning Teachers.
- The Validity of Alternative Assessments in Identifying Gifted and Talented Students.
- The Relationships between Alternative Assessments and Instructional Practices.
- The Effectiveness of Undergraduate Programs in Preparing Teachers in Gifted and Talented Education.
- The Effectiveness of Preparing Teachers in Professional Development Schools.
- The Effectiveness of Specific Instructional Practices on Student Achievement.
- Implementing Action Research in Professional Development Schools.
- Factors that Sustain Change in Differentiated Instructional Practices.
- Assessing The Degree and Effects of the Implementation of Programs for Gifted and Talented Students.
Dr. Grant Morgan
- Model selection and estimation in latent variable models.
- Applications of clustering/classification procedures.
- Applied assumption-reduced statistics.
Dr. Terrill Saxon
- The study of cross-country differences and similarity in various educational practices, youth development and teacher education.
- The role of didactic interaction (e.g., between mother-toddler; teacher-toddler) in fostering the child's acquisition of cognitive skills (e.g., language) and the child's readiness to learn upon entering school.
Dr. Tracey Sulak
- Intervention research in math and literacy.
- Impact of environment on achievement.
- Attention allocation and achievement .
- Structural validity of individually administered intelligence tests.
- Validity of CBM indices.
- Development and validation of the Homework Performance Questionnaire for parents and teachers.
- Validity of psychodiagnostic instruments.
- Diagnostic validity/utility of educational and psychological instruments.
Dr. Marley Watkins