Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Admission

1. How do I apply to a specific program in Educational Psychology?
You begin the process by applying to Graduate School at Baylor University. The application is available online or you may request this packet by writing to The Graduate School, Baylor University, One Bear Place #97264, Waco, TX 76798-7264 or telephoning the Graduate School at (254) 710-3588.

To apply for the undergraduate Special Education Program, You begin the process by applying from the Baylor University Undergraduate Admission site. The application is available online or you may request this packet by writing to Baylor University, One Bear Place #97056, Waco, TX 76798-7056 or telephoning Admissions office at 1-800-BAYLOR-U or (254) 710-3435, menu option 1-1.

2. When do the programs begin each year?
Students are admitted into the programs throughout the year with the exception of the School Psychology Program. The School Psychology Program begins only in the fall.

3. When are applications due?
For the School Psychology Program, complete credentials should be on file by February 1 in order to receive full consideration for fall admission. Only seven to ten students are accepted annually and positions are filled on a quality first-come first-served basis. Therefore, students are encouraged to apply earlier than the February 1 deadline.

The deadline for consideration for financial assistance is February 1. With no consideration for financial assistance, application deadlines for the Doctor of Philosophy Program and Gifted and Talented Program are as follows:

  • Fall admission - August 1
  • Spring admission - December 1
  • Summer admission - May 1.


Financial Issues and Assistantships

1. How may I get a list of tuition and fees?
The Graduate School website contains information concerning tuition and fees. Students who are accepted into a program with a scholarship will receive tuition remission and students accepted into a progam with an assistanship will receive tuition remission and a monthly stipend. All students are required to pay the general student fees each semester.

Scholarship and Graduate Assistantship applications can also be obtained in the office of the Educational Psychology Department or contact the Department's Administrative Associate at 254-710-3112.

2. When is the deadline for filing for financial assistance?
Prospective students desiring financial aid should submit their applications as soon as possible. Baylor has a number of sources from which outstanding graduate applicants can be funded for both tuition and stipend costs. However, these funds are often depleted well before our application deadline of February 1.


General Questions

1. Where may I get a copy of your student handbook and graduate catalog?
The Student Handbook and the Graduate Catalog are both available to view online.

2. Where can I find more information about Baylor and the Waco community?
The Graduate School website provides information about Baylor and living in Waco.

3. Does Baylor have a group health insurance plan for graduate students?
For more information about insurance plans, please contact an insurance representataive by calling 1-800-452-5772 or 254-710-7425; writing to One Bear Place #97060, Waco, TX 76798-7060; or on the internet at

4. May I contact professors to discuss a particular program?
Please see the Faculty page to obtain information concerning our faculty, including their Baylor e-mail addresses.


Graduate Programs

1. What graduate degree programs are offered in Educational Psychology?
There are several graduate degree programs for students to choose from.
  • Ed.S. in School Psychology
  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Educational Psychology
  • Master of Science in Education and Master of Arts in Educational Psychology
  • Special Education Undergraduate

2. May I transfer credit hours from another university?
For master's degrees, the accepted number of transfer credits will be determined by the individual academic departments within the following general guideline:

  • 25% of the required Baylor coursework (excluding internships, practica, and theses) may be petitioned for transfer.
  • The total number of transferred credits may not exceed fifteen semester hours.
  • Coursework must be from an accredited university.
  • Coursework must have been taken within the five years immediately prior to matriculation.
  • Coursework must carry a grade of "B" or better.
  • Non of the transfer coursework consists of extension or transfer courses.

3. How many hours of class do students take each semester?
The number of hours taken each semester are dependent upon the particular program you are in. Generally students take 9 to 12 hours during the spring and fall sessions and up to 9 hours during the summer session.