Elementary (EC-6) Education Program
The undergraduate program in Elementary (EC-6) Education prepares highly qualified teachers to work in diverse school settings in grades Pre-K through 6. Graduates of the Elementary program earn a Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. Ed.) with Generalist certification from the Texas State Board for Educator Certification. The program is Nationally Recognized by the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI).
- Elementary program candidates build a strong foundation of subject matter as they become proficient in four professional studies areas (building positive learning environments, assessment, curriculum planning and instruction, and professional development and collaboration).
- Through diverse and meaningful field experiences in our Professional Development schools (PDSs) and partnership schools, elementary program candidates have sustained opportunities to deepen and expand their knowledge for the subject matter and effective teaching practices.
- Freshman and sophomore candidates (novices) observe and tutor primary students.
- Junior candidates (Teaching Associates) team-teach in an elementary classroom with an experienced elementary teacher.
- Senior candidates (Interns) are placed in a yearlong
internship and are responsible for teaching the whole class for an
extended period of time.
For more information regarding the Elementary Education
Program contact: Dr. Barbara
Purdum-Cassidy, Elementary (EC-6) Program Coordinator