Baylor > Social Work > Information For... > Current Students > MSW Registration and Enrollment

MSW Registration and Enrollment


Graduate: Any person holding a bachelor’s degree who has been admitted to the School of Social Work graduate program and who is taking coursework to be credited toward a graduate degree. Graduate students are expected to maintain continuous registration, including the semester in which the degree is conferred. (See Items 3 and 4 under procedures.)

Post-baccalaureate: Any person holding a bachelor’s degree who is taking coursework and has not been admitted to a graduate program. (Post- baccalaureate registration is handled through the undergraduate Admissions Office.) Before the student can register for a graduate course, permission must be granted by the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and the Associate Dean for Baccalaureate Studies. After the student has been admitted to the graduate program, he/she may then petition to transfer 6 hours of the graduate level work taken as a post-baccalaureate student into their graduate program.

Undergraduate Senior: An undergraduate senior may enroll in graduate coursework (including 5000-level courses and 4000-level courses approved for graduate credit and which the student intends to apply either toward graduate credit or toward undergraduate degree requirements), subject to the following conditions:

  1. The student must have grade point averages, both overall and in the major field, of at least 3.0.
  2. The student may enroll in no more than one graduate course in one semester.
  3. The course load (combined undergraduate and graduate coursework) may not exceed fifteen credit hours in one semester.
  4. The student must have taken and successfully completed all prerequisites for the graduate course(s).
  5. The student may include no more than six credit hours of graduate credit within the total credit hours for the undergraduate degree.
  6. The student will assume the responsibilities of a graduate student in a graduate course. Permission to take graduate coursework requires the student to file a petition to be approved by the professor(s) of the course(s) and the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. Accompanying the petition must be a copy of the student’s transcript so that the graduate program can calculate grade point averages. On the petition, the student indicates whether the graduate coursework is to apply toward undergraduate degree requirements or toward graduate degree requirements, should the student later be admitted into a graduate program for which the coursework is relevant. Final approval of the petition must be obtained before the student can register for any graduate coursework.


  1. Registration information is located on Baylor’s homepage at under “Current Students,” then “Registering for Classes.”
  2. Students who do not pre-register should check with the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, School of Social Work, for registration information prior to the first day of classes.
  3. All students are expected to register for a minimum of one credit hour in each semester. This practice is institutionally referred to as “continuous registration.”
  4. All students must be registered for at least one semester hour of graduate credit during the semester of graduation.
  5. All students should refer to the official University and School of Social Work Calendars for dates set for the semester of graduation.

It is the graduate student’s responsibility to honor all conditions and procedures associated with timely registration.