BSW Admission Requirements
Admission to the major requires, at minimum:
- An overall GPA of 2.7 on a four-point scale and a grade of "C" or better in all social work courses. Preference for admission will be given to students who have achieved a cumulative 3.0 or higher GPA. Admission is competitive and a high grade point average does not guarantee admission.
Completion of SWO 2321 with a minimum grade of "C" in the course. It is recommended that SWO 2321 be taken in the Sophomore year.
- A written application demonstrating a commitment to social work values and the profession. The application is provided in SWO 2321.
Applications are due in the Spring semester of the Sophomore year; a due date for the application will be provided during the course.
- An essay comparing personal and professional values. This essay is written as part of SWO 2321. The content and evaluation of this essay must reflect professional values and be evaluated as "proficient," based on a rubric that includes criteria such as: self-awareness, professional development, ethical decision-making, religious and spiritual reflection.
- Ability to qualify for state licensure in the State of Texas upon completion of the academic program under the Texas Professional Social Worker Act (administered by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners).
- Signed Student Code of Conduct, including affirmation of Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers (provided in SWO 2321).
- Approval of the School of Social Work Admissions Committee, which meets each Spring Semester.