Student Financial Services
Filing the FAFSA

You can apply or re-apply for financial aid for the upcoming academic year as soon as possible after January 1st, using your (and your parents' if applicable) prior year income tax return at

The first time you complete the FAFSA, you need to go to to get your PIN (Personal Identification Number - your electronic signature for the FAFSA on the Web). Parents of dependent students will need a Parent PIN so that they may electronically sign the FAFSA on the Web also. You may use this site to request a duplicate PIN if yours has been lost or forgotten.

Please complete your FAFSA with accurate data. Ideally you should file your tax return before you complete the FAFSA for the upcoming year. If you do so, you will be able to complete the tax information requested on the FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval process. We use the information you submit to calculate your financial aid eligibility for the upcoming academic year. Below are some questions which are sometimes overlooked:

  • Baylor's school code - 003545
  • Your grade level in college for the upcoming year based on total earned hours through the spring prior to the upcoming year
  • Signature of student AND parent if dependent

After you complete the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Processor. Please review your SAR carefully. If you find that an error has been made, you can make changes directly on the FAFSA website at

Most FAFSA data elements cannot be updated (for example: you spent the money you had in savings). Before making such changes, please contact one of our counselors. If you filed your FAFSA using estimated income, please be sure you update your FAFSA once you finalize your tax return and your parent's tax return (if dependent). Also, be sure to update the tax filing status question for yourself and your parent (if dependent). You should use the IRS Data Retrieval process to update your tax information on your FAFSA if you are eligible. Using the IRS Data Retrieval process will expedite processing and lessen your chance of errors in entering information. CLICK HERE for more information regarding the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

Dependent Student or Independent Student?

You can only be considered an independent student for financial aid purposes if you can answer yes to at least one of the dependency questions listed on the FAFSA.

Two important facts about dependency status:

  • You may still be considered dependent for financial aid purposes even if you are not listed as a dependent on your parents’ tax return.
  • A parent's or stepparent's unwillingness or inability to contribute to your educational costs is not grounds to file the FAFSA as an independent student.

Sometimes there are instances that will allow financial aid professionals to override the dependency status of a student who cannot answer yes to any of the dependency questions.

If you believe your situation warrants a review, please contact our office to speak with a counselor.

The 2014-2015 FAFSA is used for:

Undergraduate, Graduate, Seminary
Law School
2014 fall semester 2014 fall quarter
2015 spring semester 2014 winter quarter
2015 summer semester 2015 spring quarter
2015 summer quarter

The 2013-2014 FAFSA is used for:

Undergraduate, Graduate, Seminary
Law School
2013 fall semester 2013 fall quarter
2014 spring semester 2013 winter quarter
2014 summer semester 2014 spring quarter
2014 summer quarter