Baylor > Office of the Vice Provost for Research > Visiting Scientist/Scholar Agreement
Visiting Scientist/Scholar Agreement

Each year Baylor University welcomes to the campus national and international scientists and scholars who work for sustained periods on collaborative research with our faculty. In order to best serve these visitors, the Office of the Vice Provost for Research (OVPR), in collaboration with the Office of General Counsel, has developed the Visiting Scientist/Visiting Scholar agreements which must be executed whenever guest scientists/scholars plan to be on campus and/or use Baylor facilities and resources. These agreements, modeled after similar ones required at all major research universities, codify the relationships between Baylor, our visitors and their home institutions, and satisfy legal requirements of our insurance carriers.

Additionally, international visiting scientists/scholars may require a J-1 VISA for travel to the US and be governed by federal regulations, such as Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and country-specific sanctions and embargoes.

To ensure that all visiting scientists and scholars who are working, or who plan to work, in Baylor laboratories, offices, libraries and other facilities are covered by these agreements, faculty wishing to host a visiting scientist/scholar should notify the OVPR as soon as possible, but no later than one month before the visitor is to arrive on campus. International visiting scientists/scholars require notification of at least 3 months prior to arrival on campus. OVPR staff will prepare the necessary agreements and work with our visitors to obtain all required signatures. Faculty planning to host visitors can initiate the process by completing the Request for a Visiting Scientist/Visiting Scholar Agreement form.

On submission of a Visiting Scientist/Visiting Scholar agreement involving international scientists/scholars, Treva Hall, ARO, International Student and Scholar Services will receive email notification that an international visiting scientist/scholar agreement has been submitted. You may be contacted to determine if a VISA or export license is required in addition to the Visiting Scientist/Visiting Scholar Agreement.