Baylor > Religion > Ministry Guidance > Scholarships > Baptist Ministry Scholarship
Baptist Ministry Scholarship
Baylor University, in cooperation with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, provides tuition assistance to Baptist students who are preparing for careers in church-related vocational ministry. The amount of the Ministry Scholarship is 20% of tuition for Baylor undergraduate hours. Baptist Ministry Scholarship Information
Additional scholarship assistance may be available for ministry students who demonstrate financial need. In order to determine eligibility for the additional assistance, the applicant must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please note that Ministry Scholarship recipients are ineligible for the state-funded Tuition Equalization Grant, per State of Texas regulation.
To be eligible a student must be:
- An active member of a Baptist church.
- Planning to pursue vocational Christian ministry, as evidenced by personal testimony.
- Certified for ministry by a Baptist church, either by ordination, license or statement of certification.
The following completed documents are required to make initial application for the Baptist Ministry Scholarship:
These documents are to be filed prior to the beginning of the semester for which the scholarship application is being made. Qualifying students who accept this Ministry Scholarship assistance commit themselves to take Religion 2480 "Introduction to Ministry" at some point in their studies at Baylor. A ministry-vocations assessment, intended to assist in self-awareness and call clarification, is also a requirement of this scholarship program and is a part of the Religion 2480 course. Failure to complete the Religion 2480 course will prevent the student from graduating from Baylor University unless the Ministry Scholarship is repaid.
Eligibility for the Baptist Ministry Scholarship must be reviewed and reaffirmed annually. The following renewal requirements must be met by the student:
- Demonstrate a life-style of commitment to the principles of the Christian life, as perceived by Texas Baptists.
- The student will complete a Baptist Ministry Scholarship Renewal Application prior to May 15 each year.
- Provide a completed Baptist Ministry Scholarship Church Certification-Renewal thereby furnishing evidence of the student's involvement with, support of, and commitment to a local cooperating BGCT church. (Baptist Ministry Scholarship recipients are urged to become involved with a local school-year BGCT church early in the school year and to identify themselves to the pastor and staff of the local school-year BGCT church, so that this requirement can be met satisfactorily at the time of the renewal application.)
- Provide a written reaffirmation of a sense of call to ministry and a desire to continue to receive the Ministry Scholarship.
- Meet the Baylor University standards for measurable satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the Statement of Satisfactory Academic Progress (copies available from the Baylor University Office of Academic Scholarships and Financial Aid).
- Be in compliance with any additional requirements or policies of Baylor University and the Baptist General Convention of Texas, for which official notification has been previously given.
For further information or to apply for the scholarship, please contact Louine Adams
in the Ministry Guidance Office or call (254) 710-3739. The Ministry Guidance Office is located on the Baylor campus in the Tidwell Bible Building, Room 106.