Our New Strategic Vision: Pro Futuris
Pro Futuris serves as a compass for our future, providing direction without dictating specific action — a guiding document that points us toward our destination while inviting creativity in determining the paths by which we will arrive. It follows on the heels of Baylor 2012, which boldly asserted our intention to enter the top tier of American research universities while deepening our Christian commitment. We are inspired as we continue to grow and be known as a Carnegie Research University with Very High Research Activity that resolutely embraces its Christian identity.
This work to which we are called is an undertaking of profound significance. Previous generations of Baylor graduates have embraced the responsibility to be salt and light in the world, and, in so doing, to "light the ways of time." That call continues to ring true today. We know that when we influence the world from the distinctive place Baylor occupies at the crossroads of faith and academic excellence, we are acting out of conviction that this is what God has called us to do.
At the highest level, this strategic vision provides principal direction defined by five Aspirational Statements, all of which proceed from our commitments as articulated in our mission statement, foundational assumptions, core convictions, and unifying academic themes. Our Aspirational Statements serve a purpose akin to the Psalmist's desire that God's word be a "lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path." These aspirations illuminate a future filled with promise for promoting human flourishing and offering hope to the world. There are several underlying themes that cut across and permeate all of the Aspirational Statements. These include a steadfast commitment to Christian values and identity, an emphasis on leadership development, a global perspective, a dedication to excellence in all we do, and a desire to direct the university's knowledge and resources toward solving problems facing people and communities worldwide.
As an expression of the vision developed in partnership with our faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents, and friends, Baylor will be a community recognized for...
- Transformational Education — where academic excellence and life-changing experiences ignite leadership potential that increases our students’ desire for wisdom, understanding of calling, and preparation for service in a diverse and interconnected global society;
- Compelling Scholarship — where research discoveries illuminate solutions to significant challenges confronting our world and where creative endeavors reflect the breadth of God’s creation;
- Informed Engagement — where our Christian faith, in conjunction with our expertise and resources, inspires a desire to address systemic problems facing our community, both local and global, and renews our dedication to improvement of self and service to others;
- Committed Constituents — where the dedication of alumni and friends advances Baylor through sustained involvement and philanthropy;
- Judicious Stewardship — where the value generated by and derived from a Baylor experience is supported through a diversity of revenues, prudent management of our resources, and the pursuit of outstanding quality and character in every area of University life.
For each Aspirational Statement, Areas of Specification will serve to illuminate an envisioned path. Following from the Aspirational Statements and Areas of Specification, in subsequent stages of implementing the vision, Acts of Determination will be developed in all areas of the university. These Acts of Determination will become the dynamic operational plans to guide our actions. This structure enables everyone in our community to have the opportunity to contribute to the vision and to university progress. Projects and initiatives already under way are noted to demonstrate the bridge connecting Baylor 2012 and Pro Futuris. Some new initiatives will be implemented immediately, while other initiatives may be expanded or re-imagined as circumstances change or new ideas emerge.