Baylor-Scott & White Health Hillcrest Clinical Leadership Practicum
The purpose of the Baylor-Scott & White Health Hillcrest Clinical Leadership Practicum is to provide currently enrolled Baylor University undergraduate PreHealth students with the opportunity to become more involved and familiar with medicine and healthcare in a "hands on" environment within various medical fields in order to obtain the knowledge and skills needed for their academic discipline. These opportunities will also help provide our students with a unique understanding as they apply for graduate programs, professional school and residency programs, and ultimately produce professionals who are well trained for medicine and healthcare. We will begin enrolling students in the program each summer.
The Hillcrest family involves Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center, a fully accredited, 236-bed acute care facility in Waco including a Level II Trauma Center and Hillcrest Family Health Center, a network of family medicine clinics and Hillcrest Physician Services, a network of specialty care clinics. Hillcrest is a ministry of Texas Baptists and is one of seven health care institutions affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center is a "community-owned" health care organization; Hillcrest puts all profits back into the local community by providing services such as new cardiology equipment. No individual shareholder or corporation makes any profit. A local board of trustees, made up of community members, serves without pay and manages Hillcrest operations.
If you have any questions about a particular opportunity, please contact Ryan Pattillo by e-mailing [email protected] or by calling 1(254)202-9288. Thank you for your interest in the Baylor-Scott & White Health Hillcrest Clinical Leadership Practicum.
The responsibilities for each internship will be determined between the mentor and the student which will offer reasonable flexibility for both parties. The internship possibilities are as follows:
- Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Department (ED)
- Family Practice
- Family Practice/Pediatrics/Other
- Family Practice Clinical Research
- Neonatal Intensive-Care Unit (NICU)
- Southwest Sports Medicine
- Total Trauma Care
- Internal Medicine/Geriatrics
There are also some additional optional possiblities for interns in this program:
- Healthcare Industry Speaker Events
- IRB Training
- Animal Lab Overview
- Journal Discussions
- Focus on Triple Aim: Access, Cost, and Quality
Acceptance to this program will be based on academic achievements, student involvement, and best fit in order to create valuable student/mentor relationships. Eligible students must have a completed application by the deadline in order to be reviewed for this opportunity. There are no student stipends for this program at this time.
This application is now closed. Check back with us next year!
- December 15 - Application to the program opens
- February 15 - Applications due
- February - Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled
- March - Interviews
- April - Candidates will be selected and notified
- May 10th - Selected students will need to complete paperwork and confirm start date with preceptor
- May through June - Additional credentialing process and paperwork
- June - Summer Internships begins
- Early August - Summer Internships conclude
Learn more about the required application materials for Baylor-Scott & White Health Hillcrest Clinical Leadership Practicum at www.baylor.edu/prehealth/HCLPappmaterials.