The How-To On Graduation
Helpful How-To's for Graduation
After several great years at Baylor, your student is crossing the college finish line. As graduation approaches, it is helpful to begin thinking about the commencement ceremony details, your trip to Waco and gifts for your new grad.
Baylor Commencement 101
Baylor's Commencement website brings parents the latest news concerning graduation. Along with answers about parking and attire, it also gives helpful details that your grad will need to know.
To help students prepare for gradation, Baylor hosts Bear Faire where students can embrace all things graduation. Along with purchasing caps and gowns, recording "Shout Outs" to family members and friends and ordering graduation announcements, they even can be advised on repaying loans. This year's Bear Faire will be March 20-21, from noon-6 p.m., at the Stone Room in the Ferrell Center.
Planning your Trip to Waco
Baylor graduation always brings a flurry of activity to the Waco area. To make the most of your trip, we encourage you to plan early. Many reservations need to be made months in advance.
- Hotels: For those who are traveling to Baylor, the Waco Convention & Visitors Bureau can serve as a guide to find the best hotel for you. Make reservations early as rooms book up quickly.
- Restaurants: After the ceremony, many families enjoy partaking in a celebratory meal. No matter your budget, Urbanspoon and other online directories can direct you to some of Waco's best restaurants. Some local favorites include George's, Baris, Cathay House and Chuy's.
- Waco Activities: From visiting the Cameron Park Zoo to exploring the history of the Dr Pepper museum, Waco offers a plenty of fun activities for families. Visit websites like TripAdvisor to decide where your Waco adventure should begin!
Gift Suggestions for the New Grad
Looking for a way to dote on your Baylor Bear? Here are a few suggestions of potential gifts for Baylor's newest alumni.
- A Donation to the 2013 Class Scholarship Fund will honor your student's accomplishment while giving other students the opportunity to experience Baylor. No matter the size, every gift makes a difference in the lives of students and carries on the legacy of this memorable class.
- Baylor Stadium Bricks provide students the opportunity to leave their mark on Baylor's new football stadium. Even though your student's time at Baylor is drawing to a close, a stadium brick allows him or her to be a part of Baylor's future.
- The Baylor Bookstore offers everything green and gold. From clothing to blankets to diploma frames, the Baylor Bookstore is here to give students a lasting reminder of the University they love.
Join The Family
Although your student is graduating, your family is still a part of the Baylor Family. By joining the Baylor Alumni Network, parents can continue to be involved with Baylor University. Through the Network, you have the opportunity to join many groups based around your specific areas of interests, such as the Baylor Women's Network or the Baylor Sports Network for Bear enthusiasts. Your student also can stay connected to his or her alma mater through Baylor's Young Grads' Network or other Network areas.