All inquiries to the Ombudsperson office will remain confidential except in cases of serious threat to life or property, or as otherwise required by law. The Ombudsperson does not report the names of those who use the service to anyone without their permission.
- The Ombudsperson works in confidence to resolve problems.
- The Ombudsperson will not disclose any information provided in confidence, except where there is a serious threat to life or property, or as otherwise required by law.
- The Ombudsperson will protect the identity of individuals and their concerns. The Ombudsperson will not disclose having met or talked with a party or parties, without permission of the party or parties.
- The Ombudsperson will take specific action related to an individual's concerns only with the individual's express permission and only to the extent permitted.
- If the Ombudsperson pursues an issue systemically, the Ombudsperson will do so without revealing the identity of the complainant or the situation that could be associated with a particular individual(s).
- The Ombudsperson will not violate institutional standards of privacy or confidentiality in the pursuit or provision of information.
- The Ombudsperson maintains information (e.g., notes, phone messages, appointment calendars) in a secure location and manner.
- The Ombudsperson carefully prepares data and/or reports on an anonymous basis to preserve confidentiality.
- The University will not require access to the Ombudsperson's files for matters that are purely internal to the University.
- All notes and other records or documents in the client's file belong to the Ombudsperson and the Ombudsperson Office, rather than to any party to an issue. They are only for the use of the Ombudsperson Office.
- Communication with the Ombudsperson does not constitute notice to the organization.