What Does an Ombudsperson Do?
The Ombudsperson provides a safe, comfortable, and confidential environment for you to discuss your concerns or complaints outside formal channels. The Ombudsman cannot impose solutions, but identifies options and strategies for resolution.
The Ombudsperson will:
- listen and help to analyze the problem or complaint
- identify and explain relevant university policies and procedures
- help to define and evaluate options
- help to resolve problems informally and expeditiously
- make inquiries into a problem, complaint, or concern
- mediate conflicts
- initiate discussions with other involved parties (with appropriate consent)
- make referrals to other campus and community resources
- recommend changes in University policies or procedures that may be outdated, ineffectual or arbitrary