The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is located on the fourth floor of the Harry Bass Educational Building. The LRC specializes in nursing information that supports faculty research and student study at Baylor University Louise Herrington School of Nursing.
LRC resources include citation and full text databases, reference material, reserves, journals, books, e-books, a high speed printer, a full color document scanner, audiovisual software and viewing stations, a computer lab with two B&W printers and one color printer, study room with white boards, additional study areas, student e-mail and internet access, and clinical equipment for check out. The LRC is a hotspot for AirBear wireless access.• Library Catalog
• Nursing LRC Tools for Success
Two professional librarians are available to answer questions and provide research assistance weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Stop by the LRC, call (214) 820-2100, or email email@example.com. The LRC email is checked at least three times per day Monday through Friday. LRC users may also schedule an appointment for assistance.
Jean Hillyer, MAE, MLS
Susan Gerding Bader, MLS, AHIP
Students may check books out of the Nursing LRC for three weeks. Books may be renewed for another three weeks if still needed.
Avoid late fees by stopping by, calling (214) 820-2100, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and asking to renew the item. You do not need to have the item with you.
When the LRC is closed books, clinical equipment or other LRC items may be returned in the slot on the right wall inside the entrance to Room 400. Journals and audiovisual items are for LRC use only.
The following clinical equipment may be checked out at the LRC desk:
- sphygmomanometers (blood pressure cuffs) - 1 week
- Otoscope/ophthalmoscope kits - 1 week
- Denver Development kits - 3 weeks
Returning LRC materials on time is a courtesy to other LRC users. Late returns will be charged a fee for each day late past the original due date. Fees may be paid with cash or by check. Overdue notices are automatically sent to the user's Baylor email account.
- Books: $.25/day up to the cost of replacing the book, plus a $10.00 processing fee
- Clinical items: $1.00/day up to the cost of replacing the item, plus a $10.00 processing fee
The Nursing LRC has a print copy of most required and recommended undergraduate and graduate textbooks on Reserve. This is a service to students. It is not a substitute for purchasing textbooks.
- Reserve books may be checked out for a two-hour period.
- At the end of two hours, the user may ask to renew the book for a second two-hour period.
- Call 214 820-2100 or ask in person at the LRC Desk to renew. Reserve book renewal requests may not be done by email.
- Reserve books are limited to a total use of 4 consecutive hours. They must be returned to the LRC desk after the second (optional) 2 hour renewal.
After a Reserve textbook is checked out, it may be leave the LRC. The time due and any late fees still apply if the book is taken out of the LRC.
- The late fee for a Reserve item is $10.00 per hour. The Reserve late fee is calculated by whole hours, not per minute. Late fees must be paid by cash or check in the LRC. They are not added to a student’s monthly Baylor bill.
- The person to whom a Reserve book is checked out is responsible for any late fees.
In most cases, Reserve books can be checked out overnight at 15 minutes before closing time. A Reserve book on overnight checkout is due at opening on the next LRC business day. When the LRC is open 24 hours Reserve items may not be checked out overnight.
Hiring for Fall semesters begins in mid-Summer. Hiring for Spring semesters begins in November. Please contact the Assistant Director, Jean Hillyer, Jean_Hillyer@baylor.edu for information on the requirements for working in the LRC and to place your name on the list for Spring or Summer. Students must already be approved for Federal Work Study (FWS) or University Work Study (UWS) to work in the Nursing LRC.
The LRC is open during the fall and spring semesters approximately 83 hours a week. Fall and spring hours begin on the first class day of the semester. Below are the standard hours of operation during the semester.
- Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
The LRC hours vary for holidays, summer school, intersessions and breaks. These special hours will be announced at least two weeks in advance. For more information call (214) 820-2100 or email email@example.com
The LRC Computer Lab has 24/7 access through the 4th floor hallway door. Users must swipe a valid ID badge to enter the lab. There is no access to the lab through the main LRC. Any LRC items such as reserve materials, diagnostic kits or library books must be checked out at the LRC desk before being taken into the lab. To return the items after the LRC has closed, use the book return slot located on the right wall just inside Room 400 by the elevator.
* Food and Beverages - Eating is not permitted in the LRC or computer lab to minimize insects, vermin, trash and the damage they cause
Beverages in covered containers are permitted in the LRC. This policy may be discontinued without notice if the beverage policy is abused. NO beverages are permitted in the computer lab at any time in order to protect the equipment.