Gala History - 2014-2017
LHSON is passionate about preparing exemplary nurses for the 21st Century and the key to doing that is recruiting and retaining outstanding students. Past Going for the Gold Galas have featured champion athletes and celebrities such as: Derek Haas, co-creator and executive producer of NBC's hit television series Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med and Chicago Justice (2017 gala); Noah Galloway, a wounded Operation Iraqi Freedom U.S. Army war veteran hero and finalist on the TV program, “Dancing with the Stars" along with Terrance Williams, Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver (2016 gala); Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Quarterback Robert Griffin III (RGIII) and former Baylor linebacker and NFL Hall of Famer, Mike Singletary (2015 gala); America's gold medal legend Mary Lou Retton (2014 gala); former Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith (2013 gala) and Baylor's championship-winning women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey who joined former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman at (2012 inaugural gala).
- Keynote Speaker: Kim Mulkey, fresh off Baylor Women's Basketball National Championship Title win (40-0)
- Emcee: Trey Wingo, Co-Host of ESPN SportsCenter and Co-Host of NFL Live
- Special Guest: Troy Aikman, former Dallas Cowboys quarterback
- Theme: The inaugural gala was held at the Ritz Carlton Hotel and raised $500,000 benefitting endowed scholarships.
- Keynote Speaker: Emmitt Smith, CEO, EJ Smith Enterprises, Dallas Cowboys Three-Time Super Bowl Champion and winner of the hit TV show "Dancing With the Stars"
- Emcee: Scott Murray, NBC Emmy Award winning television sports anchor and broadcast journalist
- Special Guests: Mike and Alison Malone
- Theme: Hosted at Eddie Deen's Ranch in Dallas, the gala had a Texas-style theme and raised over $500,000.
- Keynote Speaker: Mary Lou Retton, America's Olympic gold medal legend in gymnastics
- Emcee: Bianca Castro, News Reporter for NBC 5
- Special Guest: Holly Tucker
- Theme: Hosted at the Omni Dallas Hotel in downtown Dallas, the gala achieved its fundraising goal of $750,000 to support endowed scholarships for nursing students.
- Keynote Speaker: Robert Griffin III, 2011 Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Quarterback
- Emcee: Deb Carson, national sports anchor for Fox Sports Radio
- Special Guest: Mike Singletary, NFL Coach and Pro Football Hall of Fame member
- Theme: Hosted at the Hilton Anatole the event continued the tradition of spotlighting championship efforts to help raise scholarship funds for student nurses. Also new to the 2015 gala was the ability to support the nursing school's new building fund. The gala raised over $1.5 million.
- Keynote Speaker: Noah Galloway, a wounded Operation Iraqi Freedom U.S. Army war veteran hero and finalist on the TV program, “Dancing with the Stars"
- Emcee: Pete Delkus, Emmy award-winning meteorologist, ABC affililated WFAA-TV
- Special Guest: Terrance Williams, Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
- Theme: Hosted at the Renaissance Dallas Hotel, LHSON has a rich history of service, sacrifice and support for all branches of the Armed Forces. Baylor nurses have cared for soldiers in every armed conflict since the civil war. The LHSON endeavors to prepare students for their calling to be the hands and feet of Christ. The gala raised more than $1.4 million.
- Keynote Speaker: Derek Haas, co-creator and executive producer of NBC's hit television series Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med and Chicago Justice
- Emcee: Bianca Castro, co-anchor for NBC-5
- Theme: Hosted at the Fairmont Hotel, the theme was “Coming Together to Make a Difference” and recognized and honored those who serve our communities – both the nurses who care for our sick and wounded and our selfless public servants in the police and firefighting communities. The gala raised over $1 million.