Marie Hastings-Tolsma, PhD, RN, CNM, FACNM
PhD New York University
Certificate in Nurse-Midwifery University of Rhode Island
MSN Catholic University of America
BS College of St. Theresa
Email: Marie_ Hastings-Tolsma@baylor.edu
Office: 3700 Worth Street Dallas, Texas 75246
View Publications on MedLine
Dr. Marie Hastings-Tolsma is a nurse-midwifery scientist who teaches in the graduate nursing program and is currently engaged nurse-midwifery clinical practice. A U.S. Fulbright Faculty Scholar, Dr. Hastings-Tolsma spent 2012-13 in South Africa, teaching and conducting research with colleagues at the University of Johannesburg where she continues collaboration as a Visiting Professor (2014-16).
Dr. Hastings-Tolsma's research examines nurse midwifery outcomes and, in particular, alternative therapies used in cervical ripening to influence the onset of labor. She has published on best nurse midwifery practices, perineal trauma, and various safe and efficacious methods for promoting favorability of the cervix, pre-induction. Dr. Hastings-Tolsma interdisciplinary collaborative research is currently studying the mechanism of action of a botanical (rubus ideaus) with potent antioxidant properties on parturition when used during pregnancy. She was PI on a recent randomized clinical trial examining decision-making processes used by medically at-risk morbidly obese women who decide to undergo sterilization. Finally, she has conducted research examining how individual diversity occurs. Theory-testing was consistent with Martha Rogers' model. Additional methodological study is underway to further validate the measure developed for the work.
- Co-I, The Reproductive Microbiome & Perinatal Health Outcomes: Improving the Lives of Mothers & Babies, funded by the Discovery Foundation. (2015-2018)
- Co-I, 2015 Survey of Texas Professional Midwives, funded by the Texas Professional Midwives Association. (2015-).
- PI, 2015 Practice Survey of Certified Nurse-Midwives in Texas, funded by the Baylor University URSA grant. (2015-16).
- PI, Nitrous Oxide in Labor Study Group: Development of a Data Repository, supported by Praxair (Industry). 2014-).
- Co-I, Meta-synthesis: Compassion Fatigue: Joint Project with University of Johannesburg. unfunded project. (2014-).
- Co-PI, Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for Military Women with Chronic Pelvic Pain: A Feasibility Study, funded by Doris Kemp-Smith Award, University of Colorado College of Nursing. (2014-15).
- PI-2014 Practice of Survey of Colorado Nurse-Midwives, funded by the American Midwifery Certification Board. (2013-2014).
- PI, Herb Use During Pregnancy and Birth in South Africa, research supported by a Fulbright Award. (8/2012-2014).
- PI, Chemical Characterization of Rubus Ideaus. funded by the University of Colorado, College of Nursing Intramural Award. (2010-2012).
- PI, Decision-making Processes of Medically At-risk Women Selecting Permanent Sterilization, funded by the ACNM Foundation/Conceptus, Inc. (2007-2008).
- PI, Risk Factors in the Development of Chorioamnionitis, funded by the Colorado Chapter of the ACNM. (2008-2010).
- Crisp-Micsunescu C, Hastings-Tolsma M & Jonscher K. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Military Women with Chronic Pelvic Pain: A Feasibility Study. Military Medicine. In press.
- Faucher MA, Hastings-Tolsma M, Song JJ, Willoughby D & Bader SG. (2016). Gestational Weight Gain and Preterm Birth in Obese Women: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology,123(2), 199-206.
- Fullerton, J, Sipe TA, Hastings-Tolsma M, McFarlin BL, Schuiling K, Bright CD, Havens LB & Krulewitch CJ. (2015). The Midwifery Workforce: ACNM 2012 and AMCB 2013 Core Data. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 60(6), 751-761. Epub ahead of printt. 14 Dec 2015. Doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12405.
- Hastings-Tolsma M, Tanner T, Hensley J. Anderson JL, Patterson E. Dunemn K & Purcell S. (2015). Trends in Practice Patterns and Perspectives of Colorado Certified Nurse-Midwives. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 16, 97-108. Epub 2015 Sept 8. PMID: 26351217
- Hoffecker L, Hastings-Tolsma M, Vincent D & Zuniga H. (2016). Selecting an Open Access Journal for Publication: Be Cautious. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 21(1). Doi: 10.3912/OJIN.Vol21No01PPT03
- Vincent D, Hastings-Tolsma M, Gebhart S & Alfonzo P. (2015). Nurse Practitioner Clinical Decision-Making and Evidence-Based Practice. The Nurse Practitioner Journal, 40(5), 47-54.
- Nolte AGW, Hastings-Tolsma M & Hoyte F. (2015). Midwifery management of asthma and allergies during pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum. British Journal of Midwifery, 23(4), 260-267. Doi: 10.12968/bjom.2015.23.4.260
- Downing C, Hastings-Tolsma M & Nolte AGW. (2015). A Critical Evaluation on a Fulbright Experience. Nursing Forum, Epub ahead of print. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1744-6198/earlyview Doi: 10.1111/nuf.12130
- Hastings-Tolsma M. & Nolte AGW, (2014) Reconceptualizing Failure to Rescue in Midwifery: A Concept Analysis. Midwifery. 30(6), 585-94. Available at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0266613814000606
- Alfonso PM, Sakraida TJ, & Hastings-Tolsma M. (2014). Bibliometrics: A Novel Method for Visualizing the Value of Nursing Research. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 18(1). Available at http://ojni.org/issues/?p=XXX
- Abumaria IM, Hastings-Tolsma M., & Sakraida, TJ (2014). Levine's Conservation Model: A Framework for Advanced Gerontological Nursing Practice. Nursing Forum. E-pub ahead of print. Available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/nuf.12077/
- Nodine P, Arruda J & Hastings-Tolsma M. (2014). Chapter 2. Prenatal environment: effect on neonatal outcome. In Handbook of Neonatal Intensive Care (8th ed). Merenstein GB & Gardner SL (Eds.). C.V. Mosby.
- Vincent D, Hastings-Tolsma M., & Stevens, KR (2013). Dissemination and Implementation Research: Intersection between Nursing Science and Health Care Delivery (Editorial). Nursing Research & Practice, 2013. Article ID 802767. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/802767
- Hastings-Tolsma M. (2013). Systematic Review: Antenatal Perineal Massage Can Reduce Risk of Episiotomy and Postpartum Pain for Select Women Giving Birth Vaginally. Evidence Based Nursing. Published online 10/29/13. doi: 10/1136/eb-2013-101451
- Nolte AGW, Hastings-Tolsma M. & Harper TC. (2013). Parturition and Arthritis: A Midwifery Approach. British Journal of Midwifery, 21(8), 477-86.
- Hastings-Tolsma M., Bernard R., Gilbert Brody M, Hensley J, Koschoreck K, & Patterson E. (2013). Chorioamnionitis: Prevention and Management. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing. 48(4), 206-212. E-pub ahead of print. doi:10.1097/NMC.0b013e3182836bb7
- Hastings-Tolsma M. & Vincent D. (2013). Decision-Making for Use of Complementary and Alternative Therapies by Pregnant Women and Nurse Midwives during Pregnancy: An Exploratory Qualitative Study. International Journal of Nursing and Midwifery. 5(4), 76-89.
- Vincent, D. (Lead Guest Editor): Hastings-Tolsma M. (Guest Editor), Stone P (Guest Editor) & Stevens KR (Guest Editor). Nursing Research & Practice, special issue: Dissemination and Implementation Research: Intersection between Nursing Science and Health Care Delivery. Publication date: April 2013.
- Hastings-Tolsma M. & Nolte, AGW. (2013, April-June). Two Countries, One Lens: Midwifery Collaboration between the USA & The RSA. Sensitive Midwifery, pp. 46-48.
- Hastings-Tolsma M., Matthews E., Nelson J & Schmiege S. (2013). Comparative Effectiveness Research: Nursing Science & Health Care Delivery. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 35(6), 683-702. Epub ahead of print 29 Jan 2013. doi:10.1177.0193945912474501
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., & Goodman S. (2012). Midwives, Labor Induction & the Wooden Spoon Award, Part II. The Practising Midwife, 15(4), 26-29.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. Emeis C., McFarlin B, Schmiege S. (2012) Task Analysis: A Report of Midwifery Practice. Linthicum, MD: American Midwifery Certification Board. http://amcbmidwife.org/assets/documents/TA%20for%20Website.pdf
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. & Goodman S. (2012). Midwives, Labor Induction & the Wooden Spoon Award, Part I. The Practising Midwife, 15(3), 22-27.
- Hastings-Tolsma M. (2012). Maternal Obesity: Improving Pregnancy Outcomes. The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing. 37(2), 110-115. doi: 10.1097/NMC.0b013e182430296
- Castillo-Mancilla J., Allshouse A, Collins C, Hastings-Tolsma M, Campbell TB & Ma Whinney S. (2012). Differences in Sexual Risk Behavior and HIV/AIDS Risk Factors among Foreign-born and US-born Hispanic Women. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 14(1), 89-99.
- Vincent D., Hastings-Tolsma M & Effken J. (June, 2010). Data Visualization and Large Nursing Datasets. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 14(2). Available at http:ojni.org/14_2/vincent.pdf
- Hastings-Tolsma M, Clark L, Nodine P & Teal S. (2010). Sterilization Decision-Making Among Medically At-Risk Obese Pregnant Women. Qualitative Health Research. 20(6), 743-54. doi:101177/1049732310364626.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. & Terada M. (2009). Complementary Medicine Use by Nurse Midwives in the U.S. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 15, 212-129. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2009.06.016.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Tasaka Y, Burton A, Goodman S, Emeis CL, Patterson E, Bennett P, Koschoreck K, Ruyak S., Tanner T, Vaughn T & Williams A (2009). A Profile of Colorado Nurse Midwives: Implications for Health Care. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 31(1), 24-43. DOI: 10.1177/0193945908319989
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Vincent D, Park JH & Pan D. (2009). Treatment Patterns and Outcomes in a Low-Risk Nurse Midwifery Practice. Applied Nursing Research. 22(1), 10-17.
- Vincent D & Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2009). Data Visualization in the Use of a Large Dataset. Symposium: Research 2.0 Social Networking Tools for Researchers. (Abstract) Western Institute for Nursing, Communicating Nursing Research Conference Proceedings, 42.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2009). Use of Select Proteomic Technologies. Symposium: Use of Laboratory Assays: Re-engineering the nursing research enterprise. (Abstract) Western Institute of Nursing. Communicating Nursing Research Conference Proceedings, 42.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2008). Measurement of Time Experience. Visions: The Journal of Rogerian Nursing Science. 15(2), 91-95.
- Nodine P., Arrude J & Hastings-Tolsma, M (2009). Chapter 2. Prenatal environment: effect on neonatal outcome. In Handbook of Neonatal Intensive Care (7th ed). Merenstein GB & Gardner SL (Eds.) C.V. Mosby.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Burton AO & Morales C. (2008). Reactive Arthritis in Pregnancy: A Case Study. British Journal of Midwifery, 16(10), 644-48.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Davis K & Heppler B (2008, September) Urethral diverticulum in pregnancy. (case report). The Female Patient. 33, 27-29.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Clark L & Teal S. (2008). Decision-making processes regarding permanent sterilization by medically at-risk women. (Abstract) Communicating Nursing Research Conference Proceedings. 41:486.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Rosen, G., Bawden, H, & Mancuso, P. (2008) 2007 Task Analysis: A Report of Midwifery Practice. Linthicum, MD: American Midwifery Certification Board.
- Bennett, P., Emeis, C., Patterson, E., Hastings-Tolsma, M., Burton, A., Goodman, S., Koschoreck, K., Ruyak, S., Vaughn, T., Williams, A. (2007). Colorado nurse midwives: practice profiling for health policy impact. (abstract). Nurse Managed Health Centers: Policy Solutions to Improving Health Care for All. p. 16.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. & Vincent, D. (2007). Best birth outcomes in a low-risk ruse midwifery practice. (Abstract). Communicating Nursing Research Conference Proceedings, 40:537.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Nodine, P, Teal, S., & Embry, J. (2007). Pregnancy outcome following transcervical hysteroscopic sterilization. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 110(2, Part 2): 504-506.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Vincent, D., Emeis, C., & Francisco, T. (2007). Getting through birth in one piece: Protecting the perineum. MCN The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing. 32(3):158-164.
- Park, J.H., Vincent, D. & Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2007). Disparity in prenatal care among women of colour in the USA. Journal of Midwifery. 23(1):28-37. (Epub 2006 Jul 13)
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., (2006, Nov.). Toward a theory of diversity of human field pattern. Visions: The Journal of Rogerian Nursing Science. 14(2):34-47.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M., Nodine, P, & Teal, S. (2006). Essure: Hysteroscopic sterilization. Journal of Midwifery and Womens' Health. 50(6):510-514.
- Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2006). Crossing the Rubicon (Editorial). Biological Research for Nursing, 7(3), 161.2.
- Vincent, D., Hastings-Tolsma, M., & Park, J.H. (2004). Down the rabbit hole: Examining outcomes of midwifery care, Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 19(4):352-358.
- Brockopp, D.Y., & Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2003). Fundamentals of nursing research (3rd ed). Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Brockopp, D.Y., & Hastings-Tolsma, M. (2003). Fundamentals of nursing research: An instructor' manual (3rd ed.). Boston: Jones & Bartlett.
University of Johannesburg, South Africa
Department of Nursing Science
Promoted to Full Professor
University of Colorado Denver
U.S. Fulbright Scholar, South Africa University of Johannesburg
J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board Council for International Exchange of Scholars
American College of Nurse Midwives
Chancellor's Teaching Award
University of Colorado Denver
Excellence in Teaching Award
American College of Nurse Midwives
University of Colorado Denver
Fundamentals of Nursing Research (3rd ed) Book of the Year Award
American Journal of Nursing
Fundamentals of Nursing Research (3d ed) Most Valuable Textbook Award
American Journal of Nursing