At some point in life, every one of us will either be caring for an older adult, or needing care directly. The time to learn is now.
The 21st Century brings a dramatic gain in the aging population globally. Anticipation of the aging populations has spawned numerous concerns for health care. Health care professionals need to be prepared educationally to care for the older adult population and their unique needs.
- The normal process of aging tends to be complicated with atypical presentation of diseases.
- As a result, these diseases often go undetected or un-treated causing poor outcomes.
- A majority of older adults live at home and prefer to stay there.
- A vast majority of patients in hospitals today are age 65 or older.
- Unpaid caregivers face physical, emotional, mental, and financial challenges in their care giving roles.