Dr. Herbert Colvin
Professor Emeritus of Music
Dr. Herbert Colvin was a member of the Baylor University music faculty for nearly fifty years. He retired as Professor of Music Theory in 1993 but continued in his position as University Carillonneur until 2006. He joined the Baylor faculty in September of 1957 and was named Chairman of the Piano Department in 1958. Four years later he became Chairman of the Theory Department, and later Director of Academic Studies, which position he held until 1988. He was named University Carillonneur in 1988, when the McLane Carillon was officially inaugurated at Baylor. Dr. Colvin holds degrees from Baylor University, the University of Colorado, and Eastman School of Music.
At commencement ceremonies in 1978 he received a citation as an Outstanding Baylor University Professor, and in 1991 he served as host for the annual Congress of the Guild of Carillonneurs in North America. A dedicated church musician, he served for many years as organist at Seventh and James Baptist Church in Waco. Dr. Colvin's compositions appear in catalogues of six different publishers and include both keyboard and choral works, as well as editions of choral music by William Billings, an important eighteenth-century American composer. Perhaps the most widely-performed of his works are an anthem entitled "Surely the Lord Is in This Place" and a group of organ pieces called Organ Voluntaries Based on Early American Hymn Tunes.