Baylor University Welcomes Fall Chapel SpeakersAug. 25, 2011
Follow us on Twitter: @BaylorUMediaCom
Ministers, performers and inspirational speakers will be among the guests for Chapel at Waco Hall on the Baylor University campus this fall.
Baylor's department of spiritual life holds Chapel in Waco Hall at 9:05 a.m., 10:10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. Speakers are on Mondays. Wednesdays are devoted to worship.
Al Staggs, performance artist and former minister, will present at the three times on Monday, Aug. 29. Staggs served as a minister for two decades before realizing his true passions were related to performance. He has written and now performs a one-person play that transports audiences to the prison cell of German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
Dr. Jim Marsh, director of the Baylor Counseling Center, will speak at the three times on Monday, Sep. 12. Marsh received his bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his doctoral degree in counseling psychology from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn. He trains students in suicide prevention.
Other chapel speakers and performers this semester include:
- Ken Medema, composer-singer-songwriter, on Monday, Sep. 19.
- Suzanne Stabile, co-founder of Life in the Trinity Ministry and the Micah Center in Dallas on Monday, Sep. 26.
- Jenny and Tyler Somers, married Nashville-based singer-songwriters, on Wednesday, Sep. 28.
- Gungor, Denver-based Christian indie band, on Monday, Oct. 3.
- Dr. Scot McKnight, New Testament scholar, on Monday, Oct. 10.
- Dr. Fred Yaw Bio, hospital director for the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Kumasi, Ghana, on Monday, Oct. 17.
- Chris Seay, pastor of Ecclesia Church in Houston, and Scott the Painter, artist in residence at Ecclesia, on Monday, Oct. 24.
- Baylor Men's Choir on Monday, Nov. 7.
- Brooks Douglass, film producer and actor, on Monday, Nov. 14.
- Sophia Young, Women's National Basketball Association player with the San Antonio Silver Stars and 2006 Baylor graduate, on Monday, Nov. 21.
- Amena Brown, writer and poet, on Monday, Nov. 28.
Waco Hall is at 624 Speight Ave.
For more information, please contact (254) 710-3517 or click here.
by Katy McDowall, student newswriter, (254) 710-6805