Newly Renovated Morrison Hall Rededicated
- Baylor Regent Donell Teaff and Provost Don Schmeltekopf unveiled a painting of R.W. Morrison in honor of his ongoing legacy.
- President Robert Sloan addressed the crowd of 200.
- Provost Don Schmeltekopf spoke of the legacy of Mr. and Mrs. R.W. Morrison of San Antonio.
- Department of Philosophy Chair Robert Baird gave the invocation.
- (R to L) Baylor Regent Donell Teaff, Philosophy Chair Robert Baird and David Brooks, vice president for finance and adminstration (fourth from the right), attended the ceremony.
- Students, faculty, staff and alumni gathered to rededicate Morrison Hall after renovations.
by Judy Long
The 59,000-square-foot Morrison Hall was rededicated in a morning ceremony Aug. 28, following an intensive year-long remodeling project. Baylor University President Robert B. Sloan Jr., Provost Donald D. Schmeltekopf and Philosophy Department Chair Robert Baird addressed the crowd of 200 in Room 100, the former home of Baylor Law School's Practice Court program.
Renovations began in August 2001 when the law school vacated the building, originally named Morrison Constitutional Hall, to take up residence in the newly constructed Sheila and Walter Umphrey Law Center.
The renovated space is occupied by the philosophy, classics and modern foreign languages departments, as well as the Institute for Faith and Learning, the newly established Center for Religious Inquiry Across the Disciplines (CRIAD), graduate studies, academic advisement, the duplicating center and the Honors College, which consists of the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core, University Scholars, Honors and Great Texts programs.
Morrison Constitutional Hall, built in 1955 during W.R. White's tenure as president of Baylor, was originally 34,280 square feet and was the first flat-roofed building on the Baylor campus. The structure was named in honor of the late Mr. and Mrs. R.W. Morrison of San Antonio.