Lariat Takes Top Honors In Student Journalism CompetitionOct. 2, 2001
Baylor University's student newspaper, The Lariat, was named the best overall campus newspaper and won an additional 15 awards in the inaugural Baptist Press Excellence in Journalism competition held Sept. 27-29 in Nashville.
The Round Up, the university's yearbook, also brought home 10 awards.
The competition was judged by journalists from some of the nation's top newspapers, including Religion News Service, Kansas City Star, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Memphis Commercial Appeal, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal-Constitution and editors and journalists from several state Baptist newspapers.
Fox News Channel personality Fred Barnes delivered the keynote address at the awards banquet Sept. 29. Other speakers were Dr. Will Norton, dean of the College of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; nationally syndicated columnist Terry Mattingly; and Colleen Rudy, a reporter with KFMB-TV in San Diego.
In addition to best overall newspaper, The Lariat earned the following awards:
* Editorial Writing, Lariat staff, third place
* Sports Writing, Robbie Sinclair, first place, and Mark Allan Peterson, second place
* Indepth Writing, Jeff Scheldt, Mac Meadows and Blair Martin, first place; Andy Jacobs, third place
* Front Page Design, Torie Johnson, first place
* Facing Pages Design, Amie Ellsworth and Evan Wilder, third place
* Sports Action (black and white photojournalism), Roger Metcalf, second place
* Academic (color photojournalism), Evan Wilder, first place; Megan Ybarra, second place; Jon Shuler, third place
* Creative (color photojournalism), Aimee Ellsworth, third place
* Sports Action (color photojournalism), Robert Vasquez, second place
* Sports Feature (color photojournalism), Kurt Kidd, second place; Robert Vasquez, third place
The Round Up received the following awards:
* Student Life Design, Courtney McKeand, Claire Kennedy, Stacey Meineke, first place
* Sports/Club Design, Courtney McKeand and Matt Strepka, first place; Courtney McKeand and Matt Strepka, third place
* Non-Portrait Design, Courtney McKeand, first place; Courtney McKeand and Kathryn Holmes, second place; and Stacey Meineke and Donald Meyerson, third place
* Student Life Copy, Nat Nealeigh, second place
* Sports Copy, Matt Strepka, first place
* Best Overall Spread, Courtney McKeand, Claire Kennedy, Brandi Dean, Nikki Carpenter, first place; Claire Kennedy, Courtney McKeand, Jessica Thompson, Stacey Meineke, third place
For more information, contact Jason Ranton, general manager of student publications, at 710-3263.