Baylor University Celebrates First-ever Heisman Award Winner Robert Griffin IIIDec. 10, 2011
New York City, NY. - Robert Griffin III - affectionately known as RG3 - Baylor's junior quarterback, was named winner of the 2011 Heisman Trophy at tonight's Heisman ceremony in New York City. RG3 is the first Heisman winner in Baylor history and only the 3rd Baylor player to significantly factor into the balloting in the Heisman's 75-year history. (Quarterback Larry Isbell finished seventh in 1951, and quarterback Don Trull finished fourth in 1963, losing the award to Roger Staubach.)
This has been an exciting year for Baylor University. Sports and news personalities nationwide are talking about the values we hold dear and how they are represented in the life of RG3, an exemplary student and athlete. With the announcement of plans to build a new on-campus stadium and a bowl bid for the second straight year, Baylor Nation has much to celebrate. Thank you Baylor Nation for your support of our student-athletes and all our students who share a dedication to excellence at Baylor University.
Congratulations to coach Art Briles and the 9-3 Baylor Bears on an outstanding season, and Sic 'Em Bears as we enter the Alamo Bowl in pursuit of win number 10.
Also on RG3's resume:
- No. 1 in the nation in pass efficiency (on pace for a new NCAA record) and points responsibility
- Top-5 nationally in total offense, touchdown passes and completion percentage
- Owns 51 Baylor records, including season and career marks for passing yards, passing touchdowns, completion percentage, total yards and total touchdowns
- Davey O'Brien Award winner
- Walter Camp Player of the Year finalist
- Manning Award finalist
- Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award finalist
- Wuerffel Award finalist
- Academic All-District VII ... 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team selection
- Four-time national player of the week
- One of three players in FBS history with 10,000 yards passing and 2,000 yards rushing
- 2011 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year
- 2011 Big 12 All Conference First Team
- Earned his bachelor's degree in Political Science in just 3 years at Baylor
- On track to complete his master's degree next spring
Read more about Robert Griffin III.