Dr. Faber Francis McMullen (1929-2009) attended Baylor University where he earned his BS in 1953 and went on to earn his MD in 1956. He pursued a career as a cardiologist and distinguished himself as one of the premier doctors in the field.
Roxanna Connally McMullen attended Baylor from 1950 until 1952 and later received a BA in liturgical art from Sacred Heart Dominican College in 1972. Faber (1929-2009) and Roxanna first met in 1950 in front of the Carroll Science Library Building where they both attended classes. They were later married and moved to the Houston area where Faber practiced medicine and they raised their family. The Faculty Center is designed after their Bellaire, Texas home and it is no coincidence that it is situated with a perfect view of the Carroll Science Library.
The Faculty Center is designed after the McMullen's home in Bellaire, Texas, near downtown Houston. The McMullens donated the funds to build the Faculty Center primarily to honor the Baylor faculty that played such a crucial role in their years spent at the University. Dr. McMullen particularly sought to honor Dr. Robery B. Alexander, Dr. Cornelia Marschall Smith, Dr. John Haley, and Dr. Joseph Gast. Along with the funds for the construction of the center, the McMullens also donated their vast watercolor art collection for permanent display in the building.
Public tours by appointment only.
Contact Adair McGregor for further information:
The McMullen-Connally Family Collection consists of 227 watercolors by over sixty different artists and numerous personal artifacts. The watercolors represent a specific movement known as the California School of Watercolor that flourished in the 1930s and 1940s.
The McMullen's had a personal relationship with the majority of the artists in the collection as both admirers of their work and students of their techniques. In addition to the paintings, decades of correspondence between the various artists and the McMullens was included in their gift.