Collection

Mayborn Museum

Collection

History of Our Collection

In the Baylor Catalogue of 1856-1857, the University advertised for a “telescope, microscope, and contributions for a cabinet for minerals, shells, and petrifactions.” During the 1860's and 1870's, individuals expanded this “teaching collection” through donations of rocks, fossils, and “curiosities.” This was the beginning of the natural science collection, which became the Baylor University Museum in 1893. John Strecker, Bryce Brown, and other subsequent Directors have contributed their expertise in special fields to enhance the collections over the next century and more!

Our Collection