On January 24, 1991, Johnson County (Texas) Judge Joe Durham called Gary Shaw about an unusual framed sketch found while cleaning out the storage room at his office in the courthouse. The sketch was poorly drawn of six men in a park titled
Pres. John F. Kennedy
Lake Cliff park 12 P.m. Dallas, Texas"
The sketch is numbered "2/100" and signed at the bottom, "Charles Gharis"
The materials listed below document Gary Shaw's investigation of the sketch's authenticity.
Contact Poage Library if you have any questions.
- Large framed drawing by Charles Gharis of men discussing the assassination of President Kennedy in July 1962. Drawing is 10x12 matted in 21x21.5 black frame.
- Paper with "Gharis, Charles 8/76 89-43-9865 9866" [photocopy] 8.5x11 paper.
- Letter from J. Gary Shaw to FBI, March 14, 1991, requesting files on Charles Gharis, 89-43-9865 and 89-43-9866.
- Letter from FBI agent Bobby R. Gillham to J. Gary Shaw, April 1, 1991, stating that his request for the Gharis documents could not be granted without proof of death of Charles Gharis.
- Letter from J. Gary Shaw to Bobby R. Gillham resubmitting his request for the Gharis documents and submitting a copy of Gharis' obituary from December 28, 1983.
- Letter from Acting Special Agent in Charge Thomas W. Rupprath to J. Gary Shaw, Mary 15, 1991, enclosing the requested documents.
- Document 89-43-9865: letter from Charles Gharis to Frank Dyson, Dallas Chief of Police, December 28, 1970, Re the assassination of President Kennedy and the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald.
- Document 89-43-9866: letter from Frank Dyson to Charles Gharis, January 7, 1971, informing Gharis that no letters from 1963 could be found in the Dallas Police Department files.
- Legal pad description by J. Gary Shaw on the history of the Gharis drawing, January 24, 1991. 9 pages, yellow legal pad with red ink includes sketch of drawing and Lake Cliff Park area in Dallas.
- Obituary for Charles M. Gharis [photocopy] stapled together with handwritten note to Gary (Shaw) from "Gus" and "Application to probate will" of Charles Gharis, 2 pages, and a one page summary of list of residences for Gharis from 1962 to 1977.
- FBI file # KC 62-8156, 12/3/63 (date dictated 11/29/63) related to conversation between William R. Campbell, Jr. and Robert G. Kennedy, Jr. concerning President Kennedy's assassination. 5 pages.
- Obituary for Marianna Hetherington Gharis, Dallas Morning News, 2/28/94. p. 17A. Original news clipping.
- Ad for Dallas and Fort Worth Texaco, J. K. Hamm Texaco Service. Handwritten note on photocopy "See original of this in "MAP" file."
- Page from www.maryferrell.org No. 89-69/jab begins "FERRIE said that the Cuban Revolutionary Front was definitely an anti-Castro organization."
- Record from Mary Ferrell's Database for Daniel Campbell.