Baylor University Poage Library

Collection Statement


The Murray papers arrived in several installments beginning in 1977 with the most recent in 1991. The first fourteen boxes were sent in 1977 along with an inventory. These covered the period of Murray’s service as minority counsel on the House Agriculture Committee from 1958 to 1968. They were donated “to be used or disposed of in such manner as the University deems appropriate. There was no restriction placed on the use of these materials.

The next installment was sent to Baylor in January, 1979. These eight boxes contained legislative papers and publications accumulated by Murray from 1969 to 1977. Again, an inventory was also sent. In May, 1979, another shipment was sent which contained House Reports and Public Laws. These was no time limitation on these materials. In October, 1979, a donation letter was sent to the library with the request to “restrain their publication until January 1, 1990. It is not clear if this referred to the eight boxes of materials sent in January as the actual form is not attached as indicated. This October letter also indicated that Murray was sending “notes and materials kept by John Knebel, Assistant Counsel for the House Agriculture Committee in 1970...”

Another large shipment of forty-four boxes was sent to Baylor in the Spring of 1989 “related to the donor’s activities with and on behalf of the House Agriculture Committee, United States of Congress; and miscellaneous materials assembled by the donor.” Permission was given at this time to “discard what’s not needed.” This shipment also included papers of Reid Murray, Hyde Murray’s father and U.S. Congressman from Wisconsin from 1939 to 1952. The Gift Conveyance of Personal Property to Baylor University dated March 27, 1989 stipulated, “Access to these materials by the general public will be restricted for a period of ten years following the date of signature of this agreement.”

Two smaller shipments of materials were sent to the BCPM in 1990 and 1991. The first, in May, 1990, from Hyde Murray contained three boxes of Agriculture Committee materials. The last shipment of two boxes was sent by the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at

Stanford University. In August, 1991, Murray donated his leadership papers to the Hoover Institution with the request that they work out with the BCPM the repository of any clearly agricultural materials in the collection.

In 1991, the BCPM housed eighty-three archive boxes (10x12x15), 26 Hollinger boxes, and seventy-five unboxed notebooks of Hyde Murray materials in addition to the three boxes of his father. Unfortunately, because the boxes arrived over a fifteen year period, the shipments have been interfiled so that the first twenty-two boxes which had inventories have been shelved with the later forty-four boxes which have no inventories.

Processing began on the Hyde Murray papers in 1999 and continued through 2002. The papers are now stored in 251 archive boxes. The final Scope and Content Note and Series Statement were completed in 2004. The papers of Reid Murray were processed separately.


rightsideback