Transcribe the date of creation from the resource being described. This can include a publication date, a copyright date, a range of dates, multiple dates (in this case put the most current first), and approximate dates. Below are prescribed places where a date(s) can be found.
- Text: title page, cover, date on finding aid, spine label, verso of title page, statements at end of document, document;
- Sound Recording: disc/cassette label, container, insert;
- Video Recording: title screen, disc/videocassette label, container, credits;
- Scores: title page, cover, spine label, verso of title page, statements at end of documents, date on finding aid;
- Image: date on back of image, caption, container, date on finding aid;
- Maps: cartographic item itself; title page; container;
- Cultural Object: object itself, label, accompanying textual material, container, date on finding aid;
- Computer Files: title screen, website, container, accompanying manual.
If no date of any kind appears on the resource, supply an approximate date of creation in square brackets:
· One year or the other
o Ex. [1866 or 1867].
· Probable date
o Ex. [1765?].
· Between a range of dates less than 20 years
o Ex. [between 1997 and 2005].
· Approximate date
o Ex. [ca. 1634].
· Decade certain
o Ex. [186-].
· Probable decade
o Ex. [191-?].
· Century certain
o Ex. [17--].
· Probable century
o Ex. [19--?].
- Identify the date of creation and input exactly what is on the resource.
- If there is no date of creation but another type of date (publication or copyright) on the resource use that as the primary date of the resource.
- If there are multiple dates, put the most current date first. Limit putting 2 dates in the date element. If there are more than two, put the first two in the date element and the rest in a note field.
- If there is a range of dates, input the dates with a hyphen between them.
- If end date of a range of dates is unknown leave it blank after the hyphen with no period.
- If the date is known to be wrong on the resource put the correct date in square brackets in the date element, and make a note of the wrong date in a note element.
- Date: .
- Note: 1850 is the incorrect creation date.
- If a date is provided from another source for the resource being described, put the date in square brackets.