Cataloging Keston Institute Books
Books from the Keston Institute will be assigned to one of the two locations listed below. Procedures for the cataloging and physical processing of these books vary depending on the location to which the book is assigned.
Cataloging Keston Institute Books housed in the Keston Center for Religion, Politics & Society
- Location code: kest (Keston Center for Religion, Politics & Society)
- Add the name of the collection in a 793 field (793 0_Keston Collection)
- Add a 793 with the official name of the center (793 0_Keston Center for Religion, Politics & Society)
- *Note: Any item not part of the original gift (that is, anything with a post-2007 publication date) only gets the second 793.
ICode2: Enter your unique code for printing spine labels
IType: 1 (non-circulating)
- Scan a barcode and place it 1 inch from the top of the back cover, horizontally and perpendicular from the spine, and at least 1 inch from the spine.
*Rare Book Exception: For rare books, the barcode should be placed on the back of an acid-free flag.
- Location codes:
- kcgen (Keston Center Gen Coll), books measuring 28 cm and under
- kcovz (Keston Center Coll OVZ), books measuring over 28 cm
- kcrar (Keston Center Rare)
Add a gift note: 2007 Gift: Keston Institute
- p (in processing)
- If the item needs to be sent to preservation, change the status to r (in repair) and include a staff note with the date the item was sent to preservation and your initials (ex: Sent to preservation 9-26-2007 jb)
- The status should be set to x (by appt. only) once the item has been completely processed
- Print spine labels
- Attach spine labels and spine label protectors to the spines of the books.
*Rare Book Exception: For rare books, the spine label should be placed on the front of the acid-free flag.
- If a book's spine is too narrow for the spine label, place the label in the top left-hand corner of the book's front cover
- If the book has a book jacket, remove the book jacket and send it back to Keston along with the cataloged book
- Attach a Keston Center for Religion, Politics, and Society bookplate to the inside front cover of the book. If text or an image is on the inside front cover of the book, place the bookplate on the next available blank page or tip the bookplate in if this can be done without obscuring any text or images.
*Rare Book Exception: For rare books, the bookplate should be placed in an acid-free enclosure and laid in the book.
- *Items housed in acid-free folders: Place the barcode and bookplate on the item itself; put a call number sticker on both the item and the folder.
- Pack books for shipping in the weekly book run
Cataloging Keston Institute books housed in the Moody General Collection
Gift books from the Keston Institute that will be placed in the Moody General Collection will be processed and cataloged like all other Moody gift books. Collection development will place a Gift of the Keston Institute bookplate along with a gift slip in each book and add a gift note to the item record. The following steps should then be performed by the Bibliographic Access Unit:
- Add the name of the collection in a 793 field (793 0_Keston Collection.)
- Add a call number
- Add a barcode, placed 1 inch from the top of the back cover, horizontally and perpendicular from the spine, and at least 1 inch from the spine
- Verify that the location code is correct
- Verify that the gift note has been added (2007 Gift: Keston Institute)
- Remove book jackets
- Verify that a Keston Institute bookplate accompanies the book. If a bookplate is not present, place an alert flag in the item to notify marking that a bookplate is needed.
Document created 6/5/2008; last updated 9/13/2016.