Lead LLC Program Overview
First Year Student Commitments
- Engaging in a cohort class experience:
Leadership Development in the Fall and Leadership and Social Change in the Spring.
- Attendance at three Academy Leadership Lectures each semester, which is part of the course curriculum.
- Attendance at the retreat each semester.
- Participation in a mentor group each week of 7-10 students led by returning LEAD-LLC students.
- Community service participation each semester.
Students leading students to make a positive impact upon others. This is the guiding framework of the Leadership Living and Learning Center (LEAD-LLC), which has become a student-led program. Returning students in the LEAD-LLC have the opportunity to direct and develop critical components of the first-year student leadership experience. Positions for returning students offer upperclassmen the opportunity to engage in leading peers, mentoring first-year students, and working closely with faculty, staff, and the Waco community.
The Leadership Living Learning Center is progressively becoming more student run. Returning students have the opportunity to direct and coordinate four teams that organize all events for the first year students. There is a LEAD Team coordinator heading each department and a Student Director who oversees all of the groups.
- Community Team
This team works to help develop community among all LEAD students. They do this by developing and organizing dinners, activities, and other events for the LEAD students. The Community Team also helps coordinate the Spring retreat.
- Service Team
The Service Team organizes all service projects that the first year students participate in. The first semester is made up of "short-term" service events, in which students will get to work with many different organizations in order to find an area they would like to continue working with. The second semester focuses on "long-term" service events, in which students will pick one organization with whom they will develop a more established relationship.
- Public Relations Team The PR Team helps promote all LEAD events. They take pictures and video at every function to be used in brochures and other publications that they help design. The PR team also puts together a newsletter, designs merchandise, and organizes the LEAD calendar.
- Mentor Team
Members of the Mentor Team meet weekly with first year students to discuss various aspects of leadership as well as facilitating different leadership activities.