AboutCreated in 2011, the Peer Leader Program provides advanced leadership opportunities for students who want to help guide, educate, support and teach Baylor students through building meaningful and educative relationships with them. The Peer Leader program offers three different leadership positions to allow students to operate in areas of their strengths and interests.
Program Mission Statement
The Baylor University Peer Leader Program connects students with university-experienced peers to help them successfully navigate their time at Baylor by making meaningful connections to the University and promotes the educational growth, leadership skills, and personal development of upper-year peer leaders.
New Student Experience Peer Leader Requirements
- Serve as welcome week leaders
- Enroll in LDS 3V01 Peer Leadership course
- Co-facilitate a U/BU1000 or New Student Experience Course
- Plan group activities throughout the semester
- Meet 1-on-1 with first-year students throughout the semester
Health & Wellness Peer Leader Requirements
-Enroll in LDS 3V01 Leadership for Health and Wellness course
-2 office hours a week for wellness coaching
-Give at least 2 wellness presentations a semester to campus audiences
Community Engagement Peer Leader Requirements
-Enroll in LDS 3V01 Leadership in Community Engagement Course
-Serve as ambassador to student organizations
-Conduct at least 2 presentations a semester to campus groups on service & best practices
-Hold 2 office hours a week for scheduling, follow up, and communication with student organizations
Peer Leader Benefits
- Serve as a Welcome Week leader
- Build relationships with incoming students and mentor them
- Opportunity to learn by co-facilitating a college introductory course
- 3 hours Leadership course credit - can be used toward a Leadership Minor
- Insight into the current campus culture
- Develop deeper relationships with your students as a result of the peer leader bond
- Assistance with creating and delivering lesson plans
- Mentor relationship with your peer leader
QuotesI can't describe what a positive impact the Peer Leader has on the classroom environment especially if the Peer Leader was the group's Welcome Week Leader. It creates a completely different and wonderful dynamic for the class. It also helps me as the instructor to glean feedback from a student perspective on what we are presenting to the class and what the Peer Leader thinks will best meet our students' needs. I can't imagine teaching U1000 now without a Peer Leader.
– Bethany McCraw, Associate Dean for Student Conduct Administration
Peer leaders have been a central part of helping my students make a smoother transition to college than other Freshmen at Baylor. They not only help on a weekly basis but make genuine friendships that are very helpful when the "hard days" come after the first round of exams happen!
- Dr. Randy Wood, Professor and Director, Center for Christian Education, Curriculum and Instruction
How to Apply
The Peer Leader application is a 2-fold process - both an online application and an in-person interview.
The application process will begin toward the end of January. There will be an application here on the website so please check back for updates! After filling out the application, you will also need to sign up for an interview. We will notify you before Spring Break of your acceptance status.
Note: if accepted as a New Student Experience Peer Leader, there is no need to apply separately to be a Welcome Week leader.