The slate of competitors is set for Baylor Law School's 2013 Top Gun National Mock Trial Competition taking place June 5-9 in Waco, Texas.
This innovative, invitation-only mock trial tournament takes the best trial advocates from 16 of the top advocacy schools in the nation and has them go head-to-head for the honor of being named Top Gun. The first-place winner receives $10,000.
Founded in 2010, Baylor Law's Top Gun competition creates a challenging atmosphere for competitors. Unlike other mock trial competitions, participants do not receive the case file until they arrive in Waco -- just 24 hours before the first round of trials begin.
Preparation includes reviewing depositions, records and photographs, and taking a trip to the actual places where events in the hypothetical case occurred. Shortly before each round, competitors are assigned a witness or witnesses who may be used at participants' discretion during the round. The jurors for each round are distinguished trial lawyers and judges.
The National Top Gun Mock Trial Competition is limited to 16 law schools with a single student, instead of the usual two, representing each school. Baylor Law, as the organizing institution, does not field a team.
The 2013 Top Gun National Mock Trial Competition student advocates are:
- John Paul Cedillo -- Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Texas Southern University
- Joseph Darwal -- University of Akron School of Law
- Michael Ditore -- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law
- Kaitlyn Flynn -- Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
- James Fogg -- University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Robert Gardner -- Washington University School of Law
- William Gower III -- Stetson University College of Law
- Stephen Green -- The University of Texas School of Law
- Lars Hulsebus -- Georgetown University Law Center
- Marissa Oxman -- University of California-Irvine School of Law
- Valerie Raedy -- Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Jennifer Reynolds -- Samford University, Cumberland School of Law
- Andrew Shores -- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
- Daniel Theveny -- Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Collin Tierney -- University of California-Berkeley School of Law
- Austin Ward -- Pepperdine University School of Law
Along with Baylor Law School, the 2013 Top Gun National Mock Trial Competition is sponsored by the law firm Naman Howell Smith & Lee PLLC, which has offices in Austin, Fort Worth, Harker Heights, Temple and Waco.