American Bar Association
Standards and Rules of Procedure for Approval of Law Schools
Standard 509. REQUIRED DISCLOSURES
- All information that a law school reports, publicizes or distributes shall be complete, accurate and not misleading to a reasonable law school student or applicant. Schools shall use due diligence in obtaining and verifying such information. Violations of these obligations may result in sanctions under Rule 16 of the Rules of Procedure for Approval of Law Schools.
- A law school shall publicly disclose on its website, in the form and manner and for the time frame designated by the Council, the following information:
- admissions data;
- tuition and fees, living costs, and financial aid;
- conditional scholarships;
- enrollment data, including academic, transfer and other attrition (Standard 509);
- numbers of full-time and part-time faculty, professional librarians, and administrators (Standard 509);
- class sizes for first year and upper class courses; number of seminar, clinical and co-curricular offerings (Standard 509);
- employment outcomes; and
- bar passage data (Standard 509).
- A law school shall publicly disclose on its website, in a readable and comprehensive manner, the following information on a current basis:
- refund policies;
- curricular offerings (Student Catalog) , academic calendar, and academic requirements; and
- policies regarding the transfer of credit earned at another institution of higher education. The law school's transfer of credit policies must include, at a minimum:
- A statement of the criteria established by the law school regarding the transfer of credit earned at another institution; and
- A list of institutions, if any, with which the law school has established an articulation agreement.
- A law school shall distribute the data required under Standard 509(b)(3) to all applicants being offered conditional scholarships at the time the scholarship offer is extended.
- If a law school elects to make a public disclosure of its status as a law school approved by the Council, it shall do so accurately and shall include the name and contact information of the Council.