Prof. Robert DardenAssociate Professor
Phone: (254) 710-7414
Office: Castellaw 267
- Intro to Mass Communication
- Magazine and Feature Writing
- Film Writing/Criticism/Review
- Reporting and Writing for Media
- Writing for Media Markets
- Baylor University, 1976
Bachelor of Science in Education (Journalism/Art)
- University of North Texas, 1978
Master of Arts (Journalism)
Year Started at Baylor
- Adjunct: 1988-1999
- Tenure: 1999
- Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Waco Tribune-Herald (1978-1986).
- Gospel Music Editor for Billboard magazine (1984-1994).
- Senior Editor of The Wittenburg Door (1987-present).
- Professor at Texas State Technical College for one semester (1988).
- Freelance full time and teacher in Baylor’s professional writing and telecommunications department (1988).
- Journalism faculty as associate professor (2006).
- Author of more than two dozen books and hundreds of magazine articles.
- Recipient of Rotary Foundation Fellowship to study art history and film at the University of Bristol in Bristol, England, 1986.
- Articles and short stories have appeared in:
The New York Times, The Oxford American, Southern Arts, Amazing Journeys, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, CCM (Contemporary Christian Music), and others.
- Interviewed and featured on “All Things Considered,” “Tapestry” (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) and “Fresh Air.”
- Interviewed in The New Yorker.
- 2008 Baylor University Centennial Professor.
- 2008 Outstanding Research Professor, College of Arts & Sciences.
Interests & Hobbies
- Black gospel music.
- Religious humor and satire.
- World music.
- Ethnic cuisine.
- Foreign films.
- Drummer for local R&B band, After Midnight.
Favorite Thing about Teaching
- "I get students who want to change the world."
Favorite Thing about Baylor
- "Once again, I get students who want to change the world."