February 1, 2008
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac is now available to campus users. This new version is compatible with Office 2007 for Windows. It also brings some user-interface improvements and improved Exchange support in Entourage. It is a recommended upgrade for all Mac users.
How to Upgrade
In order to upgrade from Office 2004 for Mac, you will first need to mount the Campus Software Server.
1. Under the Go menu at the top of your screen select "Connect to Server..."
2. Enter "busoft.baylor.edu"
3. Connect as guest
4. The Office 2008 for Mac installer is located in "Microsoft/Office 2008".
To start the installer:
1. Double-click the file "Office_2008.iso"
2. Launch the "Office Installer"
3. Follow the instructions to complete the install.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can my computer run Office 2008?
Office 2008 requires:
1. Mac OS X 10.4.9 or newer.
2. At least 512 MB or RAM. 1 GB is recommended.
If you do not meet these requirements or are not sure please contact the HELP desk at 710-4357.
Do I need to uninstall/delete Office 2004 before I start?
No, you do not. The last thing that the Office 2008 for Mac installer will do is find and remove older copies of Office.
Is Office 2008 very different from Office 2004?
Office 2008 brings many new features such as a new gallery interface and Office 2007 file-format compatibility. However, most of the menus have not changed.
How do I change the settings so that Word still saves files in the old format by default?
1. Launch Word and select "Preferences..." from the Word menu.
2. Click on the "Save" Preference Pane.
3. Change the menu "Save Word files as..." from "Word Document (.docx)" to "Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)".TIP:
To change the Excel default format you will find the menu in the "Compatibility" Pane of the Excel preferences instead of the "Save" Pane.
Where can I find out more information about Office 2008?
Microsoft has a 'Help" website available for Office 2008. You can find it at:
Are you looking for more News?