March 6, 2012
Here are some things that you can do before leaving for Spring Break that will protect your electronic devices and your identity:
• Before you leave for the break, change your password while you are on campus. This keeps your password synchronized with all of the systems and prevents the hassle of changing it off-campus and then trying to sync it later. http://www.baylor.edu/bearid
• Run a back-up of your computer. http://www.baylor.edu/its/index.php?id=40324
• Update your voicemail greeting to let callers know of your extended leave. Update your voicemail password so that you can monitor your messages from off-campus, if necessary. https://www.baylor.edu/its/index.php?id=40071
• Make sure your Windows computer has the latest updates from Microsoft. This will help protect your computer and keep it running smoothly. http://www.baylor.edu/its/index.php?id=40321
• Restart your laptop before you leave to make sure that you remember your PGP passphrase.
• Configure your computer for VPN. If you plan to work from a remote location, certain applications require a secure connection. VPN establishes this secure connection. https://www.baylor.edu/its/index.php?id=40323
• If you need a loaner laptop, complete the Loaner Laptop request form. There is also a limited number of WIFI iPads available for checkout. http://www.baylor.edu/its/index.php?id=66889
• Take care regarding the physical security of your technology items while you are away. Do not leave your laptop, tablet, smart phone, e-reader, etc. in your vehicle unless you can lock them in the trunk.
More details on the above tips and additional checklist items can be found at our Leaving Campus webpage: http://www.baylor.edu/its/leavingcampus
The Help Desk will be available Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during Spring Break. Contact the Help Desk at 254-710-4357 if you have any questions.
Are you looking for more news?