Director, Rick Mattocks
The Installation Services group is located in the 5th Street Parking garage and consists of four full-time employees and one temporary employee. The support cycle of all computers or printers purchased by a department begins with this group. All departmental technology purchases are received on campus in the Installation Services area where they are prepared for delivery.
Installation of new equipment during the months of April through November takes approximately 5 weeks or 25 working days from the time the order is placed with our approved vendors until the client is contacted to schedule their installation in their office or department. From December through March, the approximate wait time is 4 weeks or 20 work days.
Our installation group installed 1,765 laptops, desktops, servers, scanners and printers in addition to 429 iPads and over 100 iPhones in 2011-12.
Additional duties that this group performs are listed below:
- Computer Installations - Receives equipment, records asset information, coordinates file transfer, resolves hardware and software issues specific to client needs and arranges delivery. Familiarizes clients with any new features and technologies.
- Printer Installations – Receives equipment, records asset information and ensures that the printer queues and the delivery are coordinated. Updates printer devices on client units.
- Peripheral Installations – Receives equipment, records asset information, resolves hardware and software issues specific to client needs and arranges delivery. Familiarizes client with any new features and technologies.
- Computer and Printer redeployment – processes request for redeployment on campus and follows same procedure for new computer installation noted above.
- Imaging Solutions – Creates, tests and maintains standard images for use on campus to ensure compatibility and consistency on university systems.
- Upgrades – Coordinates operating system, software and hardware upgrades as needed.
- Equipment Return – coordinates the return of damaged and incorrectly shipped items to the supplier.
- Equipment disposal is done according to the ITS policy http://its.baylor.edu/index.php?id=43834.
- File Transfers – Transfers files for clients that have changed positions within the University. Reimages existing units once file transfers are completed.
- Equipment Reassignments – Pickups and reimages or reconfigures departmental computers for new personnel replacements.
- Reinstall Computers – Installs systems following a hard drive failure data restored by Hardware Support from old drive or recovered data from backup system.
- Temporary or Annual Setups – Provides approximately 50-60 images computers and 4 to 5 printers for offices as needed during events, such as registration, History Fair, etc. Provide imaged systems and printers for research, testing, advisement, forums, presidential visit, and accreditation teams.